- 1966 Wiring Diagrams
- 1967 Wiring Diagrams
- 1968 Wiring Diagrams
- 1972 Wiring Diagrams
- 1975 Wiring Diagrams
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Chasing Gremlins that have Kryptonite

13 vs 14 teeth distributor gear

Ok, thanks for all the help, LouV I'll be using your suggestions this winter when we rewire the engine harness, the existing harness does not use the brown or blue wire, they are simply taped off. Original wiring diagrams I'm pretty comfortable reading, unfortunately not much original wiring on my FrankenBuick LOL. Yes I figured out that the forward valve is exhaust and the second is intake, I really think this method of installing the new distributor was the most reliable and easiest to figure out. What threw me for a loop was that the new distributor that I bought had 13 teeth on the gear and the old one had 14 teeth. When I originally looked at them they looked pretty much the same. I could install the new one and hand crank the engine with a breaker bar on the crank bolt but it was a little off. I finally went back and counted the teeth. A simple switch of the gears and reinstalling the distributor and checking with hand turning the engine and everything lines up great. Figured this all out last Friday, car runs Soooooo much better with the new distributor. If anyone knows the difference between the 13 teeth and 14 teeth gears I'd be interested to hear it. Previously I had initial timing set at 16 degrees, now anything less than 18-20 degrees and the car idles too slow and dies. I'll be getting to checking dwell and adjusting points if the new distributor allows soon. Thanks Again!!!!

The 13 is the big block gear. If you put in the 14 it will break off all the teeth.

WEBNOTE: When inserting an email in a posting, use the "smilie" @ so that web robots don't pick up your address and send you more junk mail!
    Members can be contacted by clicking on their "handle", but you are much better off to post to the thread!

14 teeth in 350

Bob, thanks for the info. that makes sense. I put the 14 tooth gear in which was the gear that was on the old distributor, 350 engine. The 13 tooth gear didn't break any teeth but it did have some significant wear marks from hand turning the engine a couple times, I usually learn things the hard and long way LOL. The distributor I bought came from a Southern USA parts supplier that sells mostly racing parts so it makes sense that the 455 gear would be on it not the 350. Anyway, the right gear is on the 350. Thanks again