Thread: 63 Riviera steering box leaks ....

63 Riviera steering box leaks ....

Hi out there,
    I'm actually redoing my 1963 Riviera. One small prob is a leaking out of the torsion bar. At the moment I'm unsure about the 2 possible solutions:
    1) if I'll try to reseal it (difficult?)
    2) buy a complete new gear box (where to find)
    For solution 2: It's hard to find a new gear box for a 63 Riviera. So my question is: are there any interchange parts for the gear box used in a 63 Riviera?
    Thanks
    Robert
    '56 4dr Roadmaster riviera
    '63 Riviera 425 cui

The '63 Riviera uses power steering gear part no 5689662. This steering gear was also used on 1959-60 and full-size 62-63 Buicks. Something is different about the 61; it has a different part number.

Rebuilt steering gear boxes are available. Individual parts for the box could be available too if they can be identified. Where is this torsion bar where leak occurs?
    What has been, can be again. (Bob Wills, 1942)

Hi Todd,

thanks for your answer so far.

here some pics: (from above and two from below)
    CIMG0416_up1_k.jpgCIMG0418_below2_k.jpgCIMG0420_below1_k.jpg
    '56 4dr Roadmaster riviera
    '63 Riviera 425 cui

It would make such a HUGE difference to use a newer "808" steering box. An "808" box from a '71-'76 Full size GM car would work wonders for the steering feel & bring the car to more modern standards. You could also use a Caddy varible ratio box from around '65-'76. You would not be able to tell any difference once the box is installed over an original. You could probably find a used one in Germany & have it re-sealed. Only thing you need to do is swap your original Pitman arm from your original box to the newer box.

Tom T.
    Tom Telesco
    Classic and Muscle Automotive
    12 Cook St.
    Norwalk, CT 06853-1601
    Day Phone 203-324-6045 ET
    NailHead Mini-Starters '53-'66
    Adjustable Roller Tip Rocker Arms - All NailHeads
    Custom forged pistons
    Front & rear neoprene seals
    Many other "Nail" parts
    "If I can't get it, you don't need it!"

I had to pull out the shop manual to read up on the torsion bar. It notes the o-ring on the torsion bar is not available as a service part. If a leak occurs at the seal between the torsion bar and the stub shaft, the valve assembly needs to be replaced.

You may already have the '63 Chassis Service Manual which details all the repair and rebuilding techniques for the steering gear. If not, I was going to suggest using the '60 manual in this site to study the system. Comparing the power steering sections, no differences were noted. I have the '63 manual if needed. The manual will give an idea of the procedures and tools needed to reseal the gear.

Rebuilding kits are readily available on the web. Whether they would contain the torsion shaft o-ring is not known. The ring could be matched to the sample in the gear if necessary.

One suggestion would be to wipe the gear down thoroughly and clean the surface to remove oil traces. Then watch to see where the oil reappears. I had one of these type units where the leak was very difficult to find. Turns out there was a hairline crack in the housing near the side cover. The cast iron housing is quite thin in some spots.
    What has been, can be again. (Bob Wills, 1942)