Thread: Hello everyone

Hello everyone

I have a 1956 Buick special i just got last week, i played i my dad's wercked 56 in the early 70s. Having master cylender problems, i dont have one. Any suggestions?

Is your car set up for power brakes or manual?
    What has been, can be again. (Bob Wills, 1942)

Manual, from what i have found it is a one year only part.

On top of being a one year only part, this one has an unusual design. Even when these were readily available, the price was twice that of other Buick master cylinders. Looks like it still costs twice as much for a rebuilt unit compared to others.

There was a first type (up to about 3/7/56) part #5455250 and a second type #5456000 which do not appear to be different externally. There is a service letter that describes differences on the internals.

Only a couple of sources turn up for rebuilt units. Without a trade-in, the core charge would be forfeited unless a dud could be purchased first from a salvage yard or eBay. Google found Kanter Auto Products www.kanter.com and Collectors Auto Supply www.collectorsautosupply.com as possibilities.

The rebuild kit is a part #5455765 in case that's useful.
    Last edited by TODD; 08-18-2017 at 01:45 PM. Reason: correct e-mail error

Thanks Todd, i looked at both their sites and will call them monday.
    I saw a power brake conversion kit on this forum for 700.00 would that be my best investment?
    If so will my fuel pump vacuum be able to run that as well?

Sorry, I'm not familiar with the conversion kit. If it is made specifically to replace manual brakes on a '56 Buick it should be OK.

If it mounts similar to the original, it needs to take several items into account:

. The master cylinder mounts to the toe board at an angle. With the cylinder pointing downhill, the reservoir has a special shape to keep the fluid from spilling out.

. The actuating rod for the master cylinder is placed fairly close to the pedal pad on the suspended pedal linkage. Pedal force is only multiplied by 1.5 to actuate the master cylinder. Original cylinder bore has a small diameter of 17/32" with a long stroke of up to 4". Buick called this a direct-acting displacement master cylinder.

. Buick did not offer power brakes on synchromesh cars in '56. The clutch pedal linkage does not allow enough room for the power brake setup.

The vacuum pump is there for the wipers. The pump keeps the wipers from slowing down during periods of weak engine vacuum like when climbing hills.

A vacuum reservoir tank and check valve were provided to give 2-3 power-assisted stops in case engine vacuum was weak.

Thanks Todd,
    This is very helpful. I got a price from the site you recommended, it was over 400.00 to rebuild my master cylinder which I do not have so I'm going to try and modify one temporarily. If it works well I will send details.
    Just a note my 56 is automatic transmission and the conversion has a new pedal and mounting plate. I would loose my glass jar washer fluid assembly.
    Thanks for all your help!