Thread: 1957 Buick CENTURY

1957 Buick CENTURY

Hello everyone, I have a 1957 Buick Century and am new to this site and I am in need of a vacuum diagram in the engine bay area. My problem is NO BRAKE LIGHTS. I installed a new switch on the master cylinder, checked fuses, and bulbs. The turn signals will work but not the brake lights. Seems like a loss of vacuum because when I start the car the brake pedal is hard and you hear what seems to be like air escaping. After warm up the brakes seem to work ok. Any help appreciated.

I am not familiar with the system, but I would not suspect it is a vacuum problem in a '57.

There is a complete '57 chassis manual in the "Reference" section, or you can find it by CLICKING HERE.

WEBNOTE: When inserting an email in a posting, use the "smilie" @ so that web robots don't pick up your address and send you more junk mail!
    Members can be contacted by clicking on their "handle", but you are much better off to post to the thread!

You have two different problems. First, a leaking power brake booster. air leaking sound and stiff brake pedal are textbook signs of this. Second, some wiring issue with your brake lights. you don't need your power brakes working for the brake lights to light up. This is easy to test- test for voltage at the switch. One side should be constant 12v, if this is what you find, have someone hit the brakes and see if both prongs coming out of the switch are now 12 volt. If there is no voltage at either prong, then test at your fuse panel and go from there. if there is 12v at both prongs when someone is pressing on the brake pedal, start checking downstream towards the lights .

Intake manifold

Hello, upon more investigation I noticed that the intake manifold has a pretty good sized crack in it. Can that be part or all of the vacuum problem? I know you mentioned the power brake booster and was wondering if anyone has or know where I can get one at a reasonable price. Thank You

… newbie: You can easily rebuild the boost unit and the master cylinder as well … a complete kit costs around $ 100 and is not too difficult to accomplish … First if you have not done so, go obtain a factory 1957 Buick Shop Manual and buy the Chassis Manual as well … loads of information and how to do and repair with tech torques and the like … you will thank yourself over and over for doing so … these manuals can be obtained as originals or reprints … the brake light issue is usually the sender unit gone bad that is mounted ( threaded ) into the front side of the master brake unit itself … we are assuming the car is original and no one has hack-y motto'ed the car or butchered it in any way to date … ? … Also join the Buick Club of America and then sign up on the AACA Post War Buick thread … lot's of guys and info there can help if you are interested in keeping it beautiful and wholesome …..
    Thanks in Advance!

David

Born Buick - " I like things just the way they were and drive-em just the way they are "

Quote Originally Posted by MY57BUICK View Post
    Hello, upon more investigation I noticed that the intake manifold has a pretty good sized crack in it. Can that be part or all of the vacuum problem? I know you mentioned the power brake booster and was wondering if anyone has or know where I can get one at a reasonable price. Thank You

a cracked intake would likely not affect your power brakes that much. if your engine is able to idle, you are making enough vacuum to power the brakes. The crack is a problem that needs addressed either way though, maybe its time to start shopping for a new intake manifold.

Intake manifold

Quote Originally Posted by jacob View Post
    a cracked intake would likely not affect your power brakes that much. if your engine is able to idle, you are making enough vacuum to power the brakes. The crack is a problem that needs addressed either way though, maybe its time to start shopping for a new intake manifold.
    Hello, I purchased an intake manifold and am in the process of painting it before installing it. Haven't had time to check the brake electrical system yet. Now I have another request(problem?) There is a large diameter tube which looks like it goes from the blower motor to the heater core. I want to change all the heater hoses and this tube looks like it needs to be removed first. The problem is it looks like it will fall apart(dry rotted). Any idea as to where to purchase a replacement before I remove this?. Thank You, JOHN

Hose, air, heater blower to outer housing 1171683 or 1165788

If the car does not have factory air conditioning, the parts books show a 4.00" id x 26" (later books show 27.50") long air hose for this application.

CARS, Inc www.oldbuickparts.com shows the 4" hose available.

If the car has factory A/C, a plastic air duct was used part # 1178573. No source found for that one.
    What has been, can be again. (Bob Wills, 1942)

1957 Buick Century

Hello, I have a question regarding the air filter. Are there any suitable filters that can be installed inside the original housing. The oil bath thingy seems really messy. Any suggestions or solutions appreciated. Thank You, JOHN