- Buick 300/340 Casting Numbers
- 215 sports car and Indy racing
    - Affordable Aluminum V-8's
- Buick 215 Engine Specifications
- Buick 300, 340 Engine Specifications
- How To Hot Rod Any Engine – Engine Tech

Thread: 300 build.

300 build.

Hey guys, ok so I'm building a 300 in oz and my knowledge on these is not real good. I've read in a couple of place about oiling issues with these motors. Is there an issue that I need to know about????
    If so is it easy to overcome? Or rather how do I overcome this issue??
    Building it for a shop truck so reliability is paramount, but I also want a nice sounding punchy truck at the end of the day.
    Might do some towing with the truck but nothing major just a car trailer at most. What cams a people putting in these or what is recommended?
    Running an st300 trans in front of a 10 bolt with 3.08 gears. Any help or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

oiling circuit on these is the same as the Rover 3.5L to 4.6L, and this is actually a cast iron variant of the Rover architecture.

British Leland, you see, bought that 215ci / 3.5L engine design from Buick back around 1965.

thus, all of the Buick small block v8 variants and all of the Buick v6 engines will share things like timing covers with the Rover blocks. Obviously, all of the Rover stuff is in metric where pretty much all of the Buick parts are going to be in SAE.

https://www.teambuick.com/forums/sho...ghlight=oiling

obviously, the larger v6 oil pickup ( 5/8" ID ) is too simple not to do. you can also take a die grinder to the timing cover passages and clean those up quite a bit without much difficulty.

quality oil filters will also help a great deal. NO FRAM CRAP. AC Delco, Wix or whatever your equivalent to a NAPA Gold would be.

a tow truck engine should not be turning a whole lot of rpm though, so the stock system can probably handle your work load unless you're trying to pull things out of ditches or something.

the ST-300 is only a two speed trans. you should be able to find a TH-350 in the same form factor and bell housing as the ST-300. if you want even more, all 200r4 transmissions should be dual pattern. i think the TH350 is a little stronger though.

Chevy bell is a different pattern, so be careful of that as most of the TH-350s you see will probably have a Chevy pattern.
    The way to crush the bourgeoisie is to grind them between the millstones of taxation and inflation.
    Vladimir Lenin

Government schooling is about "the perfect organization of the hive."
    H.H. Goddard, Human Efficiency (1920)

Thank you Bob, some very interesting reading here. Will have to go over this a few times I'd say. Many thanks

300 Hot Rod Mag Build

forgot to mention, Rover transmissions will NOT bolt up to the 300ci without an adapter.

the Buick 215ci has a unique ( for GM ) trans pattern which was not used for any other engine in the Buick small block / v6 family. when Leyland bought the engine plans and converted it to metric ( 3.5L ), they kept that unique trans pattern through the entire production run up to 2004.

Buick, on the other hand, converted the cast iron blocks ( 300, 340, 350, 231 v6, 252 v6 ) to the slightly more common BOP ( Buick, Olds, Pontiac ) pattern. this is still not the same as a Chevy pattern.

a lot of Rover guys love to scavenge 300 cranks and throw them in a Rover block. it's a cheap and sleazy way to do a massive stroker upgrade to any Rover. even a 4.6L only has a 3.228" stroke, the 300ci is 3.400" out of the box. the only 'production' Rover that outstrokes the 300ci is the 5.0L that went into TVRs and other sporty variants and are rare as hens teeth.

i think one or two brave souls have attempted a 350 crank into a short deck alum Rover block but you start running into interference issues.

this article focuses on the US 215ci mods but should give you some food for thought:
    https://www.teambuick.com/reference/...uminum_v-8.php

there's also a lot to be found over at the Britishv8.org forums. most of their work is looking for Buick stuff that can be adapted to Rover engines, as you might expect, but it will point you in directions where you can come back the other way.

oh yes, there's also the Australian variant, a P-76 or some such thing? i think that's got a taller deck block than a standard Rover / 215.
    The way to crush the bourgeoisie is to grind them between the millstones of taxation and inflation.
    Vladimir Lenin

You have a wealth of knowledge on the Buick engines Bob, thanks for the info.
    Do you know if the bop bellhousing continues with the later v6 engines? Say through the 90's 2000's? Was thinking maybe I could put a 5 speed box behind it

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

afraid not. i'm not sure exactly when they switched but there were some major redesigns when GM switched to calling them 3800s instead of 3.8L

https://infogalactic.com/info/Buick_V6_engine

check out the transmission bell thread though. a manual trans bolts to the back of the bell separate from the bell itself. and there are GM factory bells which have dual bell patterns on the front ( Chevy as well as BOP ) and then have both GM and Ford patterns on the back for the manual trans to bolt too.

either way, once you have the proper bell finding something like a World Class T-5 in either a Camaro or Mustang should be pretty easy.
    Vladimir Lenin

Quote Originally Posted by bob k. mando View Post
    afraid not. i'm not sure exactly when they switched but there were some major redesigns when GM switched to calling them 3800s instead of 3.8L

https://infogalactic.com/info/Buick_V6_engine

check out the transmission bell thread though. a manual trans bolts to the back of the bell separate from the bell itself. and there are GM factory bells which have dual bell patterns on the front ( Chevy as well as BOP ) and then have both GM and Ford patterns on the back for the manual trans to bolt too.

either way, once you have the proper bell finding something like a World Class T-5 in either a Camaro or Mustang should be pretty easy.

Has anyone got an accurate link or specs sheet on crank specs for a Buick 300

You will find the crank specs for the Buick 300 here: Buick 300, 340 Engine Specifications

WEBNOTE: When inserting an email in a posting, use the "smilie" @ so that web robots don't pick up your address and send you more junk mail!
    Members can be contacted by clicking on their "handle", but you are much better off to post to the thread!