- 1964-1967 SP400 Parts Images
- How to wire the Switch Pitch on a Buick Transmission
    - 400 auto codes
- BOP Bellhousings and Automatic Identification
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: dynaflow tq/hp limit

dynaflow tq/hp limit

ive searched all over the place, but cant find an answer. how much power can a stock 1953 dynaflow trans hold? also the rearend? basically everything from the trans back. thanks for any info.

Is this a V-8 transmission or the one in the special with the straight eight? I have had the rear ends apart and they look plenty beefy. I have never heard of one breaking. But they are all behind a dyna flow of a straight eight or a stock buick V-8. When ever someone hot rods a buick of the 50's the engine, transmission and the rear end usually go.

It's a 53 super 322ci. I just bought it, waiting for it to get to florida from Michigan. Trying to figure out a game plan after I get it. I'm all about using what I have....until it brakes.

depends if you want to shift it or not. Manually shifting down to low gear shortened the life of the transmission with an engine in even factory form. With staying in high gear, it should handle plenty of power because there are no clutches engaging or disengaging under power. And of course there is the universal killer of transmissions.. heat! A second trans cooler and frequent fluid changes will do wonders if you drive it hard.

And you will have a hard time hurting the differential because of the gearing (or lack of it!) in the transmission. there will be no slamming from a 3.09 first gear to 1.6 second gear. The dynaflow's low gear ratio is more like most modern tranmissions' second or third gear, and the shift from low to direct drive is anything but hard.

The bigger question is, if performance is your goal why keep the dynaflow?

like I said, I'm going to use what I have first. my wife keeps me on a tight leash with money. when I get it here, my plan is to get it on the road, feel it out, then start rebuilding. its a long term project, something to keep me busy while the kids are in school (idle hands are the devils playground).

another question- whats a running 53 322 + dynaflow worth? all original and complete. the car isn't going to be "pretty" and I don't care about keeping it original. I've done enough "oem restorations", time for some fun and creativity. so if Its worth selling the drivetrain, I will.

as it sits now, in Michigan. anyone got a trailer? need it brought to florida!
    Attached Images Attached Images

contact Horizon Transport or one of the dozens of other trailer transporters in Elkhart County Indiana. they have flatbed trailers running all over the country, constantly.

http://horizontransport.co/
    The way to crush the bourgeoisie is to grind them between the millstones of taxation and inflation.
    Vladimir Lenin

Government schooling is about "the perfect organization of the hive."
    H.H. Goddard, Human Efficiency (1920)

dynaflow/torque/ hp

That is a confused car!

Ben

previous owner put on earlier rear fenders. other than that, its a complete, runner and driver. has all the trim and everything. couldn't pass it up for 1k

To answer your question about the drivetrain value- Ive bought and sold several of these and the most expensive was a 322 that was running, complete air cleaner to oil pan and all accessories for $500. the transmissions and torque tubes I can barely give away. Once one went for $100 but these weren't known good working transmissions. I've given away 4 torque tubes for free, and sold one for a couple hundred that was all painted and detailed out. These parts will take a long time to sell and you won't get rich. For what its worth, I've modified my car and don't have a single regret.

That's what I was thinking. So my original plan will continue. Use what it has until something breaks beyond repair. Then change it. Thanks for your help