From the Reference Section:
- How to choose your new wheels and tires
- Buick Rallye Wheels
- Calculators: Tires, Gears, MPH, etc.
- Wheel Bearing Adjustment, 1963 - 1970

Thread: stubbe

stubbe

Hello all Buickfriends.
    I am wondering of anywhone have put shockabsorbers back to a 54 Buick.
    Modern shocks telescopic.My kneeled leeking oil and the car is Wobbley.
    A hint please.

Stubbe, where have you been? Have not heard from you in a while. My car is a 1952 Buick but I think it is real similar. The original shocks also leaked and did not control things. I put telescoping shocks on it. I chose shocks that where from a half ton Chevrolet pickup. I copied their mounting design for angles. They work very well. On my car there is a cross member just above the rear axle and a little behind it. I fabricated shock mounts and welded them to the cross member. The pan hard bar is in the same area so you have to work around it. I fabricated lower mounts and welded them to the rear axle. As I mentioned I used the Chevrolet design. The top of the shocks are mounted near the center of the car and the bottom of the shocks are mounted near the wheels. I did this six or seven years ago and have quit a few thousand miles on them with no problems. Stubbe, I could probably get some pictures and dimensions if you are interested.

Vern

Fill the lever shocks with hydraulic jack oil (square plug on top). If the control improves after a few days of driving, then seal the shocks: http://www.buickrestorer.com/lowtechrear.html
    Those lever shocks were way over built and if kept full of fluid will outlast the car. Replace the links if needed.

To do the front, you must cut the wishbone, then do similar to above and re-weld.

WEBNOTE: When inserting an email in a posting, use the "smilie" @ so that web robots don't pick up your address and send you more junk mail!
    Members can be contacted by clicking on their "handle", but you are much better off to post to the thread!

I put tube shocks also on the front. Drained out the oil out of the knee action shocks and filled with grease . I fabricated upper shock mounts. Removed some rivets and added a plate to mount bottom of shock to. No cutting and used all the factory suspension. Again used 1/2 ton Chevrolet shocks and my wife's comments. " It drives so much better."

54 Buicks had tube shocks in front: https://www.1954buick.com/search/?ty...q=front+shocks
    Try not to modify your suspension unless you know what you are doing.

Smile stubbe in sweden

Quote Originally Posted by suntreemcanic View Post
    Stubbe, where have you been? Have not heard from you in a while. My car is a 1952 Buick but I think it is real similar. The original shocks also leaked and did not control things. I put telescoping shocks on it. I chose shocks that where from a half ton Chevrolet pickup. I copied their mounting design for angles. They work very well. On my car there is a cross member just above the rear axle and a little behind it. I fabricated shock mounts and welded them to the cross member. The pan hard bar is in the same area so you have to work around it. I fabricated lower mounts and welded them to the rear axle. As I mentioned I used the Chevrolet design. The top of the shocks are mounted near the center of the car and the bottom of the shocks are mounted near the wheels. I did this six or seven years ago and have quit a few thousand miles on them with no problems. Stubbe, I could probably get some pictures and dimensions if you are interested.

Vern
    Hello Buickfriend.Tanks for pics.I Put my lady 54 in garage,under jacs over winter
    and i get under but it is not the same frame.I have a framepart over back of axel curved
    not straight but you give me inspireasion,some welding,beers and a good "sisu" ill be fix this.
    Sorry of bad spelling