Thread: Help I lost my KEYS

Help I lost my KEYS

I have a 55 special, I never had the keys to the doors and neither did the previous owner, but the key I had opened the trunk and turned the ignition lock. I kept it on a vintage key chain. Tonight I went down to the storage lot where I keep it put my new tires on it, and then put all the parts I had in the trunk and loaded it on the flat bed. At some point the key chain broke and I have no keys. Luckily I didn't lock the ignition. I know all the locks are original because I am the 3rd owner and the 1st and second owners were neighbors. They were never changed. Is there a way I can get a replacement key? I tried to stick a paper clip in the ignition lock to remove it but it wouldn't slide out. What can I do? I have all my new brake parts in the trunk and I want to get the car on the road finally...

any decent locksmith should be able to have a 1955 lock open in a matter of minutes. and make copies of the key for you, although that will take longer.

or, you can buy your own power pick for under $200 and pick it yourself. which doesn't do anything for your long term key situation.

it may also be possible to pull the rear seat and go through into the trunk that way although you would probably have to cut the sheet metal.
    The way to crush the bourgeoisie is to grind them between the millstones of taxation and inflation.
    Vladimir Lenin

Government schooling is about "the perfect organization of the hive."
    H.H. Goddard, Human Efficiency (1920)

According to the Owner's Guide all cylinders on the car are keyed the same. Only two identical keys were supplied originally. This makes sense as the car can be operated without a key for parking attendants, mechanics etc. while access to the trunk and glove compartment is blocked.

See excerpts from the shop manual. The cylinder apparently cannot be removed from the ignition switch without the key. The key code is stamped on the door safety lock. Should be a 4-digit number from 8000 to 9499. Key blanks and key codes are the same for all GM cars from 1935-65 so blanks should still be available. Tables show how to cut the key once the key code is known.

Ideally the the glove compartment lock cylinder could be removed and used to provide key code if other methods don't work. Another long shot would be to find the key code on the original dealer's invoice if you were lucky enough to acquire the original papers.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by TODD; 08-25-2017 at 02:54 AM.
    What has been, can be again. (Bob Wills, 1942)

Here is a guy on ebay doing classic GM key replacements by code numbers:
    GM Keys

WEBNOTE: When inserting an email in a posting, use the "smilie" @ so that web robots don't pick up your address and send you more junk mail!
    Members can be contacted by clicking on their "handle", but you are much better off to post to the thread!

Normally the glove box lock won't work because it only uses 3 of the 5 tumblers needed for the ignition, doors & trunk. Remove the door lock & have a key made for it that should coincide with ALL the others.
    Tom Telesco
    Classic and Muscle Automotive
    12 Cook St.
    Norwalk, CT 06853-1601
    Day Phone 203-324-6045 ET
    NailHead Mini-Starters '53-'66
    Adjustable Roller Tip Rocker Arms - All NailHeads
    Custom forged pistons
    Front & rear neoprene seals
    Many other "Nail" parts
    "If I can't get it, you don't need it!"

That explains why glove box lock cylinders feel sort of flimsy compared to the other locks.
    What has been, can be again. (Bob Wills, 1942)

Quote Originally Posted by My55buick View Post
    I have a 55 special, I never had the keys to the doors and neither did the previous owner, but the key I had opened the trunk and turned the ignition lock. I kept it on a vintage key chain. Tonight I went down to the storage lot where I keep it put my new tires on it, and then put all the parts I had in the trunk and loaded it on the flat bed. At some point the key chain broke and I have no keys. Luckily I didn't lock the ignition. I know all the locks are original because I am the 3rd owner and the 1st and second owners were neighbors. They were never changed. Is there a way I can get a replacement key? I tried to stick a paper clip in the ignition lock to remove it but it wouldn't slide out. What can I do? I have all my new brake parts in the trunk and I want to get the car on the road finally...
    If you remove the rear seat back, you can unlock the trunk with a blade screwdriver tapes to a broomstick. Use a flashlight so you can see the inside of the lock, and use the screwdriver to turn the lock to open the trunk. Once the trunk is open, you can remove the lock and have a key made. (Maybe you should have two or three keys made).
    Last edited by rcfryer; 09-02-2017 at 08:32 PM.
    Best Regards,
    Ron