Thread: 1967 Buick GS400 Dilema

1967 Buick GS400 Dilema

Hey guys. Here's my Dilema. I've got a 1967 Buick GS400 that I have listed on this website for sale. I already know I'm gonna lose a bunch of money selling it, but I've gotten over that. I bought it with the intention of restoring it/ I have sentimentsl ties to the 1967 GS400's. It's an original 4 speed car with an original Muncie transmission that matches the car as well as a somewhat recent rebuilt 400 motor. I know they only made around 2,000 or so 4 speeds. I know the car needs a bunch of work. Missing the air cleaner & shifter console. All the floors need replaced as well as some rust issues in the quarters & fenders. Yada yada yada. I would live to send it out & let someone go to work on it, but I don't have the money to do that. And the time required for me to do it myself isn't going to happen. I've gotten offers, but it's for $2000.00 & by people that I can tell just want to part it out or people that don't have a clue about this vehicle. I've started to ponder about parting it out myself knowing that I'd probably lose less money in it, but it kills me to think of sending a car model that only had a couple thousand produced to the crusher. What's your guys thoughts on this?
    thanks
    Josh

People seem to think of parting out cars as destroying them, but I see it as helping get many other cars on the road. Half the classics you see driving wouldn't be there if it wasn't for another car just like it being cut up.

I have a tough time selling anything at what seems to me to be a reasonable price too I usually end up taking a beating...
    I have found that when I have finally made the decision to sell, it is nice to see it gone. I have no doubt that you can get more than the 2000 parting it out, maybe more than the 4000, but it takes time and your effort to disassemble. It is usually just a handful of parts that sell fast and the rest is slow.

Taking a beating on the price and saying good bye to it allows you to move forward with whatever else you are working with.

It's tough.

WEBNOTE: When inserting an email in a posting, use the "smilie" @ so that web robots don't pick up your address and send you more junk mail!
    Members can be contacted by clicking on their "handle", but you are much better off to post to the thread!

If I were to part it out I'd pretty much sell the big ticket items. Motor, trans, sell wheels for cheep, front bucket seats, maybe a couple other things & then just call one of those auto salvage places that give you $500 for your car & be done with it. Even at that point I think I'm still closer to $3000. Maybe I'm wrong on my guesstimation. Am I???

at the end of the day, you've got to do what's right for you. going to the poor house over a **** car is pretty silly, no matter what the sentimental value might be.
    The way to crush the bourgeoisie is to grind them between the millstones of taxation and inflation.
    Vladimir Lenin

Government schooling is about "the perfect organization of the hive."
    H.H. Goddard, Human Efficiency (1920)

Any pics??