- Buick 455 Drag Strip Tests from Kenne-Bell
    - Buick 400, 430, 455 Engine Specifications
- Buick Staging Chart
- Differences Between 1970-71 And 1972 and Later Type Block
- Head Flow Chart
- Cam Button

Thread: Need help with exhaust manifolds

Need help with exhaust manifolds

I was not sure where to post this. My exhaust manifolds on my 430 67 Buick Riviera are pretty rusty and was not sure if I should somehow repair them or be better off purchasing a used pair in better condition or brand new ones. I'll consider headers if they sell for around the same price as the manifolds.

If the manifolds are the originals, they are a one year only manifold which has a little larger out. The manifolds are a little more delicate than the '68 and up and it is common to find them cracked. Don't know what your rust level is, but usually if you blast them and put some good manifold paint on them, they can look presentable.

I don't know if there are new replacements available, but any big block manifolds will fit. You should be able to find a set on ebay for a couple of hundred dollars. Click Here for Buick exhaust manifold

WEBNOTE: When inserting an email in a posting, use the "smilie" @ so that web robots don't pick up your address and send you more junk mail!
    Members can be contacted by clicking on their "handle", but you are much better off to post to the thread!

I checked the Ebay link out and saw exhaust manifolds for mostly early 70's Buick engines 400 and 455. Will an early 70's 455 exhaust manifold fit a 430 engine from 1967? I notice Pontiac Headers have a similar design to Buick's. They look like they might be an even fit.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/STAINLESS-RA...3D322535373564

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Hedman-28140...3D360960087806

The BUICK 455 manifolds will interchange.

Neither sets of those headers will fit.

Even headers which are supposed to fit often don't. There were a couple on the first link from "Doug's" which may, but be careful unless you know someone who has installed that set in your specific application, you may find interference.

WEBNOTE: When inserting an email in a posting, use the "smilie" @ so that web robots don't pick up your address and send you more junk mail!
    Members can be contacted by clicking on their "handle", but you are much better off to post to the thread!

I notice most of the manifolds are used. I see that one is sandblasted and painted with 1200 degree cast iron paint. Not sure if the used manifolds from the other auction has the same process done to them. My question is are these used manifolds on Ebay equivalent to purchasing new ones in durability or are they possibly rusted ones that were painted over to look new? If they were similar to the ones I have with paint to cover them up, whats to keep them from breaking like rusted manifolds tend to do?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/BUICK-455-RH...5ZNy35&vxp=mtr

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Pair-1970s-B...tZScdM&vxp=mtr

www.TAPerformance.com is the primary Buick aftermarket retailer and they have headers. they may even have refurbished stock exhaust manifolds as they do quite a bit of engine work as well.

the Pontiac IS NOT the same as the Buick. in fact, all of the GM brands from that period had their own engines and specific design layouts and, aside from subbing a few offbrand engines around in the entry level models, you will have to purchase brand specific parts for any engine from that period.

one of the more obvious differences is that the Pontiac was the only GM engine design in which the passenger cylinder bank is further forward than the driver side bank.

another is that the Buick big block, Buick small block and 'modern' Caddy engines are the only GM designs with the distributor at the front of the engine.

https://www.teambuick.com/reference/...eng_visual.php

Buick 455ci, 430ci and 400ci are the three members of the Buick Big Block family and most parts except for the pistons can be swapped between different displacements.
    The way to crush the bourgeoisie is to grind them between the millstones of taxation and inflation.
    Vladimir Lenin

Government schooling is about "the perfect organization of the hive."
    H.H. Goddard, Human Efficiency (1920)

Thanks for all the replies and links. I checked out the TAPerformance website and saw that they made headers for $535 plus shipping. I'll call them to see if they do make manifolds. I am comfortable with the price range of the manifolds on Ebay. I just hope the manifolds are durable since they are used. It would be nice if parts were less expensive like on a Honda's and Chevy's. I should be happy that parts are even available for a car this old. I

Buicks are cheaper to get into but yeah, you'll pay it back in higher parts prices.
    The way to crush the bourgeoisie is to grind them between the millstones of taxation and inflation.
    Vladimir Lenin

Government schooling is about "the perfect organization of the hive."
    H.H. Goddard, Human Efficiency (1920)