-
263 Head X-Sections
    - Building a High Performance Straight Eight
- Buick Straight Eight Lifter Adjustment
- Straight Eight Intake Manifold X-Sections
- Straight Eight Oil Supply Update

Thread: Best engine oil?

Best engine oil?

Hey everyone, looking for some lubrication advice. I'm getting my 47 Super Straight 8 completely rebuilt. What's the best oil I should use? Any or all info would be greatly appreciated.

the 1952 manual ( penultimate year of the Straight 8s ) recommends single viscosity 20w oil to 5w ... but then, they didn't have multi-viscosity oils back then.

https://www.teambuick.com/reference/.../files/1-a.php

so i'd just use the reliable old standby ...

Rotella 15w-40, which is marketed for diesel engines.
    The way to crush the bourgeoisie is to grind them between the millstones of taxation and inflation.
    Vladimir Lenin

Government schooling is about "the perfect organization of the hive."
    H.H. Goddard, Human Efficiency (1920)

I agree, I have run 15-40 in everything for a long time. The only thing you could consider nowadays when even 15-40 is coming under environmental influence is specialized "hot rod" oils.

WEBNOTE: When inserting an email in a posting, use the "smilie" @ so that web robots don't pick up your address and send you more junk mail!
    Members can be contacted by clicking on their "handle", but you are much better off to post to the thread!

Remember, even with Rotella 15-40 you now need to run extra friction reducers as even the diesel oils have been required to remove the heavy metal additives. In our race car we run Mobil 1 10-30 with GM EOS [now called assembly lube]. Doug

When shopping for a 15-40 oil, look for the term CJ-4 as more desirable. It is supposed to mean that it is backward compatible for older engines.

WEBNOTE: When inserting an email in a posting, use the "smilie" @ so that web robots don't pick up your address and send you more junk mail!
    Members can be contacted by clicking on their "handle", but you are much better off to post to the thread!

I run Valvoline vr-1 10-30 in winter and 20-50 summer. this has a higher zinc count.
    52 Special.
    Tin Militia CC

Has there ever been a documented oil related failure in one of these old engines due to lack of zinc?

Zinc

I doubt it. I believe zinc was not even in oil in those days. I do not know how to link here, but google Bobs the oil man. A lot of info. If it was me, I would use a 10w 30. Or straight 20 w. As some one else said, any oil is superior to what was available then.

Ben

As some one else said, any oil is superior to what was available then.

no, a LOT of engines ( not just Buicks ) lost a lot of cams back when zinc / ZDDP first got taken out of the formulations. primarily newly assembled engines with new cams that hadn't yet been through a run-in period. there was a whole big fooforaw when this first started happening because the engine builders had no idea what was going on. they were just getting cam lobes wiped all over the place.

they've figured out work arounds for this now. be SURE to follow all install req's and read the instruction sheet if installing a cam, mostly plentiful application of Break In Lube.

modern oils are 'superior' at not burning up your catalytic convertor. lubrication is a secondary consideration for the current recipe.
    The way to crush the bourgeoisie is to grind them between the millstones of taxation and inflation.
    Vladimir Lenin

Government schooling is about "the perfect organization of the hive."
    H.H. Goddard, Human Efficiency (1920)