Thread: Hi There...

Hi There...

This is my first post on your site - so YES, I am a Newbie!
    I have a 1956 Chevy Cameo Pickup Truck with a 364 Buick Nailhead motor in it. Or at least from the intake casting #1173313, I presume it is. My brother built this truck back in 1963 and had some Buick racing parts laying around and put a motor together and put it in. He sold it to a friend of his in 1965 and after 52 years my wife and I were able to get it back into the family. it will need some work so i will be asking some questions, i have already found a lot of info on your site. thanks for having me..
    Attached Images Attached Images

That is one gorgeous truck! I would love to have it as a "shop truck"!

WEBNOTE: When inserting an email in a posting, use the "smilie" @ so that web robots don't pick up your address and send you more junk mail!
    Members can be contacted by clicking on their "handle", but you are much better off to post to the thread!

Hi There

That engine looks like it belongs there! Beautiful. Welcome to our "Buick" world.

Ben

Thanks for the Welcome......

the 364ci is the only Nailhead with it's mid height deck.

the 322 / 264 are shorter and the 401 / 425 are taller.

so you can verify the displacement by measuring between the intake bolts using the distances at the bottom of the Nail casting page:
    https://www.teambuick.com/reference/...s_nailhead.php

Looking at an aftermarket nailhead manifold and wondering what it will fit? Try this, measure between the bolt holes...
    322 8 3/8"
    364 8 7/8"
    401-425 9 1/8"

any idea what kind of "racing parts" your brother used?
    The way to crush the bourgeoisie is to grind them between the millstones of taxation and inflation.
    Vladimir Lenin

Government schooling is about "the perfect organization of the hive."
    H.H. Goddard, Human Efficiency (1920)

thanks Bob for your reply.....
    I can't remember exactly what parts went into the engine. I "think" there is an Isky cam in there. back in the early 60's we went to junk yards and got our motor's - then would mix and match parts from there. he had a lot of Buick stuff lying around from all the buick's powered race cars that he had and worked on and threw this motor together.
    i did check the center distance between the intake manifold bolts with a pair of calipers. i get 8.650" i could be a tad off, but it is not 8.375 or 9.125. this measurement is from center of one bolt to center of other bolt. bolts are not directly across from each other on same plain, they are on an angle.
    the head casting #1196914 and intake casting # 1173313 are listed as 364 items. if the intake is a 364 intake, it would not fit on a 401/425 motor - Right??
    there is a casting number on the front of the block, it is #4D1136630.
    i will also post a thread under engine's forum.
    Thanks Again.......

if the intake is a 364 intake, it would not fit on a 401/425 motor - Right??

true.

so far as the Isky stuff is concerned, i remember reading about some sort of 'helper springs' that were installed in the lifter valley. they helped keep the lifters on the cam without running such massive spring loads on the valves and then trying to leverage all that force around through the rocker and down the pushrods.

i think the guy had a 322 and was claiming something silly like +8000 rpm on his passes.
    The way to crush the bourgeoisie is to grind them between the millstones of taxation and inflation.
    Vladimir Lenin

That was a guy from Mass. & true he was running 8K+. The springs being talked about were part of the "Rev" kit for the roller cams usually the "505".
    Tom Telesco
    Classic and Muscle Automotive
    12 Cook St.
    Norwalk, CT 06853-1601
    Day Phone 203-324-6045 ET
    NailHead Mini-Starters '53-'66
    Adjustable Roller Tip Rocker Arms - All NailHeads
    Custom forged pistons
    Front & rear neoprene seals
    Many other "Nail" parts
    "If I can't get it, you don't need it!"

iirc, he actually said 9,000 rpm ... but that's so crazy i don't want to get people in trouble repeating things like that.
    Vladimir Lenin