Thread: Power brake booster kits for early 50s Special?

Power brake booster kits for early 50s Special?

Hey all,

I've done some searching in the archives and am I correct in guessing that there is no real conversion kit available to move away from manual drum brakes and install a complete power system with disk/drum? I have seen the references to the Scare Bird front conversion, but then if you want a power booster you have to come up with some fabricated brackets.

I have built a 62 Chevy C-10 and also a 50 Ford F-3 before and there was a lot of options for power braking systems both in kit form and parts breakdown to assemble a system. The Ford had both firewall mounted and frame rail mounted power booster systems. Any help would be appreciated.

Randy

Boosting brakes

I boosted my 50 front drums with a remote VH44 tucked behind the inner drivers side guard. I have used the 44 to boost front discs before also, just get the right 44 as their boost varies. The rears remain unboosted.
    I am fitting discs to my 53 Pontiac soon but it is running an under the floor Booster/ master already.

49flamer... Show us pictures please! Would love to know the model of the vh44 you used. I have a 51 special that I would love to have stop without pulling up on the steering wheel!

Vh44 brake booster fitting

I can’t believe they drove these thing with these brakes….andsteering ….but anyway…
    Not much to show with photos but here is what I did.
    Find the brass brake line splitter that directs lines to therear and two fronts, undo the two front lines…..plug one front port and make anew line to go from the other front port to your new VH44 booster ‘in’ port(top …may need a reducer fitting) the outlet in the end of booster has a newline leading to a new second 3 way brass splitter ( I used another identical 4way with one port plugged ..a spare I had from another Buick…..located justabove the existing one which allowed me to use the original 2 front lines asthey were already bent to fit the ports of the original.)
    I located my VH44 in the area between the washer bottle andthe guard. There is a mounting stud in the back of most VH44’s… drill a hole forthis, (when you open the drivers door you can access the panel at the back ofthe front guard to drill ) You also need to brace the front of the VH with abracket. You can hardly see the booster tucked in there.
    Use the larger diameter brake line to and from the VH, thesame dia as the line from the master to the splitter to ensure plenty of flow.I think I drilled the port holes in the brass splitter open a little to ensuregood fluid dynamics also. I think they were all double flared lines but justget your brake shop to make them up to length . Don’t make the booster toorigidly mounted as the body to chassis movement may be an issue after about 20years ??????? Like I care….I don’t drive it much anyway, my other 50 rides on aG frame…PS…P.disc brakes.. SBC.. OD auto….much nicer.
    which 44...I got mine from Ebay from china...works fine.. I have used 4, one was a bit faulty.

49flamer....thank you for taking the time to detail what you did on your ride. I have read that there is a difference between the vh44 made in China/Hong Kong compared to those from Australia. I have also noticed there are different models. I want to be sure that I am getting the correct model for my application as well as something that is of decent quality. Are you familiar with specifics on the differences if any or specs that are necessary to make it work with the larger Buick?

Wink Vh44 brake booster

I don't have a knowledge of the specifics...they have different codes I think...I asked about the china ones before I bought them but I don't remember the reply suffice to say I bought the 3 and were fine ( one had an issue but they gave me another free I just paid for the shipping so I was happy with that). I put one on my 63 Corvette front drums, on on my 49 Ford jag front discs and one on the Buick and was happy with the results, only time will tell of the quality but hey...they come with most hardware, the price is good and there aint much to them to stuff up!! you could go for a 40 never used one of those.
    You just gotta do something about those brakes !...I think that's what they are ?

How far do you want to go, cost and effort wise ?

Quote Originally Posted by 1959Buick lesabre View Post
    You will probably have to change your wheels too as the calipers will foul the originals, if your racing it discs are the way to go !

wheels

Quote Originally Posted by 49FLAMER View Post
    You will probably have to change your wheels too as the calipers will foul the originals, if your racing it discs are the way to go !
    I bought same late 70 wheels from a Buick Electra from Pick a Part.

Randy....

I know this is an old thread and it might be too late to offer any help but I have been working on a front disc brake conversion on my 51 special. It has been quite a project and I am still working out the bugs. I used a Kanter kit that is manufactured by ABS Powerbrake. I cannot tell you that I would use them as the support has been weak. Nice people, quality parts, but the tech support has been poor. I do not think they have actually "done it" before. At least not on my vehicle. There was a video on a 50 Buick that has a Wildwood kit on it that looked good and I got some good ideas from it. See link below. I am also sharing a link to my photo album on my project. Hope it helps.

When choosing be careful about the brake pedal mounting differences in the models especially with regard to manual trans versus automatic. Also be sure to plan booster location, exhaust routing, and clutch linkage if applicable...carefully. Good luck!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y_jeSHhXmhQ

https://photos.app.goo.gl/8QXTlzEi80xzXrnU2