- 1964-1967 SP400 Parts Images
- How to wire the Switch Pitch on a Buick Transmission
    - 400 auto codes
- BOP Bellhousings and Automatic Identification
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Leaking dynaflow

Leaking dynaflow

Is it possible to stop the dynaflow trans from leaking,I've just had new gaskets fitted but it's as bad as before.I'm going to pull it back out and was wondering if a spray on gasket sealer such as 'Wirth' would be worth (no pun intended) a try.

Curly, Where is it leaking? An external seal-up kit comes with all necessary gaskets and seals except the torque ball seal kit. Most common leak areas are the front pump seal, converter cover oring seal, hi accumulator crank seal and torque ball at the rear. Gaskets don't commonly leak.

Thanks for the reply,I cant really see with the trans still in the car but it seems to leak when parked in the shed and appears to be running down from up top somewhere in the front section and finally ending up around the trans oil pan-you would naturally think the pan gasket was the problem but I have replaced that 2 or more times.I'm thinking the gaskets are leaking between the front sections of the trans.On the road it doesn't appear to leak while driving as there is not much oil under the trans-I'm wondering if while parked the oil is running back from the torque converter and over filling the oil pan?

Curly, You cannot fix leak until you positively identify what is leaking. This will require that the car be jacked up and supported high enough for you to roll under it with a can of brake-clean and a air hose to blow dry it. It must be clean and dry to accurately locate leak. Leak will be at highest point of trail. The hi accumulator crank seal on the left front is a common leak point. You may also have to remove the flywheel cover and inspection plate to check for signs of leak at front. You can spray up in there with the engine idling and blow dry also. I would doubt that gaskets are leaking. Don't forget the lines and cooler can also leak, one line is connected at right front of transmission, the other at the right rear. The hose on the dipstick tube could also be leaking and run down to the pan.

Great I'll check that thankyou.

Quote Originally Posted by TexasJohn55 View Post
    Curly, You cannot fix leak until you positively identify what is leaking. This will require that the car be jacked up and supported high enough for you to roll under it with a can of brake-clean and a air hose to blow dry it. It must be clean and dry to accurately locate leak. Leak will be at highest point of trail. The hi accumulator crank seal on the left front is a common leak point. You may also have to remove the flywheel cover and inspection plate to check for signs of leak at front. You can spray up in there with the engine idling and blow dry also. I would doubt that gaskets are leaking. Don't forget the lines and cooler can also leak, one line is connected at right front of transmission, the other at the right rear. The hose on the dipstick tube could also be leaking and run down to the pan.
    The service manual details leaks too! The torque converter can leak back into the pan and that is source of fluid but not the leak point. Change the pan gasket again and this time be sure the gasket surface on the pan is straight. Also make you own gasket from cork/rubber material that is thicker than the supplied gaskets. At the front of the pan there are studs with nuts to hold the pan in that location --- put some RTV sealer on the studs before installing the nuts (fluid leaks down the stud shaft).

Make sure it is red transmission fluid. A leak at the rear of the engine such as the valve cover could run down on the transmission if the car was lower in the back.

Smile

Yep it's definitely red trans fluid dripping out but I'll clean trans soon and check it,oil seems to be ending up on top of where the pan bolts protrude into the trans casing giving the impression that the pan gasket is the source of the leak but I think it's coming from further up.Going to jack car up on stands and clean and check.Thanks for the replies guys.

Leaky dynaflow-torque ball seal

If it is leaking at the tail of the transmission, check the torque ball seal. As Texas John noted it is a common leak point...and a PIA to replace, especially if you have an enclosed drive line. It seals the driveshaft/transmission connection point and a small amount of deterioration will allow fluid to leak out. Mine leaked a lot for a long time until I bit the bullet and fixed it.

leak found

Thanks everyone,I finally discovered it was the pan gasket leaking so I cleaned and made sure the pan was straight and used a good quality VHT spray on sealer on the gasket and reassembled.No leaks so far maybe third time lucky with this gasket.