- Buick 300/340 Casting Numbers
- 215 sports car and Indy racing
    - Affordable Aluminum V-8's
- Buick 215 Engine Specifications
- Buick 300, 340 Engine Specifications
- How To Hot Rod Any Engine – Engine Tech

Thread: What oil to use?

What oil to use?

Going to attempt to start a '62 special with a 2bbl 215ci for the 1st time in 32 years....drained the oil-WHAT should i refill it with? 10w30? Thinner? Should i just put ANY 'cheap' oil in just to see if it starts? Or use something in particular?

modern oils don't have the zinc in the formulation that the old engines liked. the zinc / ZDDP was removed in the 1970s because oil+zinc getting past the rings into the combustion chamber results in tailpipe contaminants that clogs up those stupid catalytic convertors.

therefore, i usually use a modern diesel oil ( which still has zinc in it ) like Rotella 15w-40. i wouldn't go "thinner", thinner oil is really only good in a modern engine with really tight tolerances.

additional benefit is that diesel dino oil is pretty cheap, given that even small diesels will usually take a gallon and a half or more per change.

don't skimp on the filter though. NO FRAMS. get yourself an AC Delco, Wix or Napa Gold.
    The way to crush the bourgeoisie is to grind them between the millstones of taxation and inflation.
    Vladimir Lenin

Government schooling is about "the perfect organization of the hive."
    H.H. Goddard, Human Efficiency (1920)