-
263 Head X-Sections
    - Building a High Performance Straight Eight
- Buick Straight Eight Lifter Adjustment
- Straight Eight Intake Manifold X-Sections
- Straight Eight Oil Supply Update

Thread: 1950 Buick Special Sedanette Won't Start

1950 Buick Special Sedanette Won't Start

Hey guys. Trying to get my car running with no succes. I've replaced the ignition coil, cap, rotor, points, plugs, plug wires, battery cables, & a fresh new battery I keep on a trickle charger. The fuel pump works as I see fuel being pumped up to the glass bowl inline fuel filter. I've checked spark by holding the plug to a metal surface & I see spark. When I hold my hand over the carburetor I feel it sucking, doesn't feel super strong but it does suck. I've had all the plugs out & feel air pushing out the plug holes while engine is cranking (doesn't feel super strong but air is pushing out the holes). I bought a harbor freight compression tester & got a zero reading on all eight cylinders which leads me to believe the tester isn't working. But when I shoot compressed air into the tester it gives me a 60 psi reading. I did get a couple of loud explosions out of the carburetor by using starter fluid, but other than that nothing. I really don't now what else to do. I've posted some links of you tube videos I've made of the car cranking so you can hear & see what it's doing. Any help would be greatly appreciated. I just hope I don't have to pull the motor apart.
    Thanks
    Josh

Engine Cranking
    https://youtu.be/WL47-8dRQPA

Engine Spark
    https://youtu.be/6ixxJLeSy98

Carburetor Backfire
    https://youtu.be/rdkR49i8wZo

Engine history: rebuilt? long storage? when was it last run?

I don't know the history of the motor. Only thing I do know is that it was buried under a pile of horder garbage in a garage for 30+ years.

you've verified #1 TDC on comp stroke and rotor pointing to #1 on cap? crank with rocker cover off and see if all are moving. if compression is concern, shoot shop air into the plug hole on the head and listen. id think low compression should be enough to fire though.
    52 Special.
    Tin Militia CC

Yes I've checked all of those things. Still nothing. When shooting in compressed air do I remove one plyg at a time or do it with all plugs pulled? Do I need a rubber tip on my air fitting to seal the hole. Sorry never done that before.

Quote Originally Posted by joshhirst13 View Post
    Yes I've checked all of those things. Still nothing. When shooting in compressed air do I remove one plyg at a time or do it with all plugs pulled? Do I need a rubber tip on my air fitting to seal the hole. Sorry never done that before.
    Verify lack of compression with a different tester... some good ones will have fitting to allow you to introduce compressed air into the cylinder. Do this with the valves on that cylinder closed and the piston up if possible. Listen for air in the intake, exhaust and crankcase...this will tell you where the leak is. If no leak, then suspect timing chain not installed correctly.

Quote Originally Posted by joshhirst13 View Post
    rubber tip on an air nozzle. pull a plug and shoot shop air in. listen for air bypassing. do this with valves closed. if you have spark and fuel then you need air. I just watched the vid. are you sure the valve lash is set correctly? there is at least on rocker not making much movement. like 322 stated, could very well be mechanical timing.
    52 Special.
    Tin Militia CC

Ok guys. She finally fired up & is alive. HELL YEAH!!!! Feels GREAT!!!!! So it looks like it was either the valve lash or more likely no compression. I adjusted the lash per the repair manual (17 gauge feeler gauge) & tried to get something. Didn't seem to do much . So then I squirted about 4 squirts of engine restore brand oil into each spark plug hole & cranked it for about 15 seconds. I put my compression tester back in & it immediately made a compression noise & I saw the gauge climb, so I guess my gauge was working properly & I wasn't getting any compression. I tested all of the cylinders & all but #8 had compression. I'm hoping it just needs to lubricate a little bit more. So now it looks like I'm gonna need to rebuild the carburetor. The fuel pump is pumping fuel to the carb, but I'm not getting any fuel to keep the car running. Maybe you guys have a quick fix for that or something I can try. If you guys are interested in seeing the car start up after it's long slumber & seeing a giant smoke show check out this video. Thanks again for everyone's help & let me know what you guys think about the carburetor fuel issue.
    Thanks
    Josh

https://youtu.be/fz2RSjB-UhA

sure you are getting fuel to the carb. looking at the comp vid the filter is not full. might want to look at plugs too, especially #8 if you say comp was low. look for oil. on your carb verify float is adjusted and does not have a hole in it.
    52 Special.
    Tin Militia CC

You have tryed fresh gasoline ?....maybe the old one in the gastank has lost the ignitability..

Jenz
    '38 Special Coupe, pimped 263 cui
    ---- LIFTERS CC GERMANY ----