- Carter Dual 4-barrel Carburetors, Linkage Sticking
- Carter Dual 4-Barrel Carburetor Idle Adjustment
    - Trouble Shooting Carburetor Problems
- Buick Carburetor Types and Numbers
- Buick Carter "V8" Carburetor Numbers and Specifications
- Rebuilding a Fuel Vacuum Pump

Thread: Starting a 215ci for 1st time in 32 years

Starting a 215ci for 1st time in 32 years

Ok, so i just might get a nice day on a day off this week-so i can finally look at my all original, garage-find 1962 special deluxe. This car has not been started in 32 years. Before i acquired it, i was present during a brief attempt to start it. They were smart enough to attempt it with gas from an auxiliary tank, rather then trying to suck up 32 years of paint thinner....& 55 years of crud. There is compression-a big plus-, but no spark. So obviously it didnt start. They changed the coil, still no start....next thing i knew, it was mine.
    1st things i will do is change oil, spark plugs, cap, rotor, points & wires. I will also empty & clean the glass, see-through fuel filter-which is filled with....lots of stuff in addition to gas. And again try to start from a can of gas, rather then the cars tank. BUT i have 1 question-SHOULD I remove/rebuild the carburetor? Or should i let things go as they may? I must tell you, this car is NOT perfect, but it is totally original. I have NO intention of ANY restoration. It's just a 'let's see if we can get it running, drive it, sell it' type of project. So there will be no 'high-dollar' tricked out carb rebuilds here. If you guys say leave it be-i will. If you think a rebuild is a necessity, then i'll go with the best price.
    What else do you think i should do during my attempt to get it running?

You can leave the carb alone for now unless it slobbers uncontrollably. This will tell you if there are other issues with the engine, etc (there is always a reason these cars were parked).

oy.

for just futzing around trying to get it running, the old stuff is fine. but if you're going to want to start driving it, ALL of the rubber parts ( hoses, belts, mounts, etc ) need to be replaced. rubber gets brittle just sitting there simply because of age.

a further consideration is that a lot of these 215s got messed up by people not using the factory recommended coolant. this is the first mass manufactured automotive engine with alum block and heads and they needed a corrosion inhibiting formulation because the antifreeze used for the standard iron blocks of the time wouldn't keep the 215 from electrolysis damage.

they also had porosity issues with the alum castings, that's why GM went back to the iron block 300ci. they were having too many aluminum parts scrapped out of the foundry.
    The way to crush the bourgeoisie is to grind them between the millstones of taxation and inflation.
    Vladimir Lenin

Government schooling is about "the perfect organization of the hive."
    H.H. Goddard, Human Efficiency (1920)