Thread: Carpet padding

Carpet padding

This may be the dumbest question of the year, but I'll ask anyway, 1953 Suoer. I'm replacing a part of the front carpet - driver's side got wet and moldy/rotten. When I cut it out and pulled it up, there was some kind of padding underneath. About 1/2" thick fibrous, I'm betting full of asbestos, but I'm 70, so don't care - can't get me now. I've searched all over for this stuff or something like it. I do recall that when I put in a carpet kit in another old car, there was a less-thick fibrous material attached to the back of the carpet. So what is this stuff? And where can I get a small amount?. And I guess the biggest question is - what is it for and is it really necessary? Sound? Heat? Safety related? If not safety related, I may just skip it. Thanks in advance, Logan

While carpet padding may provide some noise deadening and a minor amount of insulation, the main purpose is to protect carpet wear. If you have carpet on the bare metal floor, your heel and the metal floor act like a scissors and cut the carpet in short order. It is always best to have carpet padding under your carpet.
    You should contact a local auto upholstery shop and ask if you can buy a small amount of the jute padding. If they do not want to sell you any, look for an auto upholstery supplier in your area and ask them to sell you some. As a last resort, you can go to a junk yard and peel some off some scrap carpet. Usually the rear carpet or the passenger side of the front carpet will yield some good padding.
    The main thing is that you never want to go with no padding under your carpet. Good luck.
    Best Regards,
    Ron

Carpet padding

Hey, Thanks Ron. Just some great advice I was looking for. I'll try an auto upholstery place I know that did some work years ago. Logan