- Carter Dual 4-barrel Carburetors, Linkage Sticking
- Carter Dual 4-Barrel Carburetor Idle Adjustment
    - Trouble Shooting Carburetor Problems
- Buick Carburetor Types and Numbers
- Buick Carter "V8" Carburetor Numbers and Specifications
- Rebuilding a Fuel Vacuum Pump
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: 2X4 Throttle Linkage

The spring that came with mine only barely collapses as the pressure is applied, and would only serve to avoid binding. If it is not the correct one, it would be nice to know what the gauge, number of windings and length of a correct one was so that it could be matched.

WEBNOTE: When inserting an email in a posting, use the "smilie" @ so that web robots don't pick up your address and send you more junk mail!
    Members can be contacted by clicking on their "handle", but you are much better off to post to the thread!

Tom, thank you for your response. I believe you to be correct.
    After reviewing many images of springs used on the 2x4s, it appears maybe more than 1/2 of them have a spring similar to the one which was on mine, which I now believe to be wrong. It is too heavy to allow the linkage to be progressive. There are some images showing a very light spring which I believe to be the one described by you, which would be able to act as an "anti-rattle" spring, and have minimal impact on the progressive action of the progressive linkage.

I have seen a repro linkage on ebay which appears to have the same spring as mine, and another image of a repro on Russ Martin's Nailhead.com site which has a spring appearing at least close to what the original should be. The original appears to have only 3-4 windings in its length and be a very light gage.

WEBNOTE: When inserting an email in a posting, use the "smilie" @ so that web robots don't pick up your address and send you more junk mail!
    Members can be contacted by clicking on their "handle", but you are much better off to post to the thread!