Thread: GPM of stock 248 L8 water pump?

GPM of stock 248 L8 water pump?

Per the thread title, I need to know the GPM flow of the stock in-line 248 water pump so as to match that with an aftermarket electric one.

For some reason I'm a bit tight on room at the front of the engine bay in my roadster project.

Thank you.

Interesting question!

I am going to be surprised if anyone has any idea about that question! I am sure it would not be too hard to come up with a guesstmet if you had a running motor. You would just need a good sized barrel of water (of course it would vary with rpm). But I have never seen any such figures...

A look around the net lets you know there are many people wondering about their flow rates. I would have thought the pump manufacturer would be able to make a good suggestion.

WEBNOTE: When inserting an email in a posting, use the "smilie" @ so that web robots don't pick up your address and send you more junk mail!
    Members can be contacted by clicking on their "handle", but you are much better off to post to the thread!

Rather what I suspected, as it's certainly not the run-of-the-mill (cheap pun intentional) concern. Figured 'twas worth a shot.

Guess I can do a visual "flow needed" estimate with a garden hose, through the block, head, & therm assembly, then match that to a pump's specs.

I looks like most people looking for an estimate with a running motor just take the output from the motor and feed a bucket. Maybe if your motor isn't running you might be able to do something like turn the pump with a HD drill. That might give you a guesstimate at about 500 rpm at the pump.

WEBNOTE: When inserting an email in a posting, use the "smilie" @ so that web robots don't pick up your address and send you more junk mail!
    Members can be contacted by clicking on their "handle", but you are much better off to post to the thread!

*scratches head*

do you REALLY need to know the gpm? i mean, even with the OEM belt driven, you've got a humongous range of rpms and thus gpm flows while the engine is running.

operating conditions are also widely variable, from high rpm no load ( blipping the throttle while in neutral ) to low rpm high load ( climbing a hill at slow speed ) and all variations in between.

i should think any electric pump which can handle a small block Chevy should be capable of cooling a 248.

let's think about it:
    - external surface area of the piston sleeve is pretty constrained by displacement and cylinder count, the 248 is 8 cylinder, same as SBC
    - regardless of block packaging ( straight instead of V ), you've still only got 8 cylinders to cool
    - heat generated is going to be closely tied to engine rpm, Straight 8s don't really wind out that far
    - heat generated is also going to be closely tied to displacement ( which is quantity of air-fuel burned for each stroke ), and 248ci just is NOT very big, being 100ci down from a SBC 350.

are standard size electric water pumps still too thick and you're trying to get the smallest package form factor possible?
    The way to crush the bourgeoisie is to grind them between the millstones of taxation and inflation.
    Vladimir Lenin

Government schooling is about "the perfect organization of the hive."
    H.H. Goddard, Human Efficiency (1920)

something else to keep in mind, airflow is going be WAY more than necessary.

circle track Late Models running 700hp SBC engines fulfill all of their cooling needs through a gap ~3" tall and maybe 2' wide. now, obviously, you can't run an engine like that hard while the car isn't moving ... but if you have cooling "issues", you'd probably be better served to get the radiator shrouded and ducted to cool external air on the front end and get the fan well shrouded on the back side.

electric fans are also a good way to save space with a longer block.
    The way to crush the bourgeoisie is to grind them between the millstones of taxation and inflation.
    Vladimir Lenin

Government schooling is about "the perfect organization of the hive."
    H.H. Goddard, Human Efficiency (1920)

Quote Originally Posted by bob k. mando View Post
    Electric fans are also a good way to save space with a longer block.
    Bingo.

Quote Originally Posted by bob k. mando View Post
    Even with the OEM belt driven, you've got a humongous range of rpms and thus gpm flows while the engine is running.
    I should think any electric pump which can handle a small block Chevy should be capable of cooling a 248.
    Are standard size electric water pumps still too thick and you're trying to get the smallest package form factor possible?
    I'll have 1.75" from the back of the rad shell to the front of the head unless I cut into the firewall overhang, and move the mill back another 2" (something I'd prefer to avoid, but am considering).
    Thus, clearances're the issue, and I hope to mount an electric alongside the mill. No room for the stock water pump & fan behind a custom radiator that'll fit the rad shell and clear the vibe damper as it presently looks to fit. I'll have to do something with the therm housing as well, but haven't addressed that as yet as it'll likely be easier than the pump.

The slant 6 had plenty of room, but this L8's making me work at it.

53.JPG

For what it's worth:

1942 Audel's Automobile Guide states a Packard 120 (282 cid L8) has a circulation capacity of 2000 gph or 33.3 gpm at 35 mph.

1951 Packard shop manual gives the gravity flow rate of the radiator as 39 gpm on both the 288 and 327 L8 engines. Radiator pressure cap is rated 7 psi.

1954 Packard shop manual shows radiator gravity flow rates of 30 to 36 gpm for 288 to 359 L8 engines. Radiator caps are rated 12 psi.
    What has been, can be again. (Bob Wills, 1942)

Seriously cool, and much appreciated.
    Thanks.

I think I'd pretty much accepted having to figure it out on my own, but it's great to have a decent idea where to start.