- Buick Cams from Kenne Bell, 401, 425
    - Nailhead Engine Specifications
- Head Flow Chart
- Nailhead Oil Pump
- Nailhead cam specs and cam selection
- Nailhead Parts Interchange

Thread: Motor Flushes, BG products, zddp additives

Motor Flushes, BG products, zddp additives

Is there a specific motor flush that works well with Nailheads (I've previously used Motor Medic) or should I avoid them all together?
    Also, I have always found good value in the BG products that I've used, but wanted to see if anyone had experience using them in a Nailhead 401 before I start pouring them into my car!
    Last item: Has anyone had any issues using Rislone "Engine Oil Supplement" ZDDP additive?
    Please let me know!
    Thanks!

Stay out of the additives isle at the parts store. All name brand oils have an additive package...zinc or other components... that will prevent any wear problems. There is a myth promoted by chevy people that extra zinc is needed (maybe in a chevy engine made of mush-metal). I have never heard of an oil related engine component failure in a nailhead.

Ander,

I pretty much agree with 322 about staying away from the additive isle but you do need to use one of the "Hot Rod" oils that is designed for older engines and flat tappet cams. They have taken a lot of the additives out of the newer oils because the new engines do not need them and some of the chemicals can ruin catalytic converters.

By the way, this is not just a "Chevy" problem.

Other than using the correct oil there is no reason to use any additives.
    Bill Koustenis
    Advanced Automotive Machine
    Waldorf Md

Original owner:
    1971 Chevelle Heavy Chevy
    1984 Buick Riviera
    1999 Chevy Tahoe 2DR 4WD

Enginerepairshop.com

I've been using BG products at my shop for 35+ yrs. As far as I'm concerned the BEST products going hands down as well as Lucas products.

Tom T.
    Tom Telesco
    Classic and Muscle Automotive
    12 Cook St.
    Norwalk, CT 06853-1601
    Day Phone 203-324-6045 ET
    NailHead Mini-Starters '53-'66
    Adjustable Roller Tip Rocker Arms - All NailHeads
    Custom forged pistons
    Front & rear neoprene seals
    Many other "Nail" parts
    "If I can't get it, you don't need it!"

… using a product line for over 35 years is all well and fine and a good thing as well, but with that said, is that product line keeping the same chemistry composition in the particular product line you are using or have they changed that as well … ? They may well have due to changing newer engine design specs and what the oil specs needed for these newer engines … that is to say the product or products of yesterday may very well be reformulated leaving your older unchanged engine design now vulnerable to damage now that formulations and time has marched on …
    Thanks in Advance!

David

Born Buick - " I like things just the way they were and drive-em just the way they are "

If you want to flush your engine do it safely. Depending on how dirty it is you can do 2 things. If it's a little dirty and you have an occasional tap. I just pour a quart of Marvel Mystery oil in about 500 miles before an oil change, depending on how filthy the oil is change the oil filter. Then put good fresh oil in with a ZDDP additive. If it's fairly dirty buy some Marvel, good oil filters, and a few cases of cheap oil. Change the oil every 200-500 miles or until it starts to get dark, until it takes a long time to get dark then you know you got it all. I have a Mark VIII with 190k on it and it takes 1500 miles before the oil starts to turn since I started putting the Marvel Mystery Oil in it before my oil changes.

So if you are determined to put additives and cheap oil in the engine, remember there will be about a quart and a half left in the engine that cannot be drained.

One of the things I KNOW that formulation has been changed is the MOA. It doesn't have as much ZDDP in it today as it had. I still stand behind ANY BG PRODUCT MADE. Since the 44K came out way back when I've used it in my REGULAR customers cars for years!!! It DOES do what it says & I have 1st. hand experience with this. I HAVE NEVER HAD TO REPLACE A FUEL INJECTOR ON ANY REGULAR CUSTOMERS CAR DUE TO WEAR, CLOGGING OR OTHER DIS-ORDER. I could go on for days the experiences I've had.
    Tom Telesco
    Classic and Muscle Automotive
    12 Cook St.
    Norwalk, CT 06853-1601
    Day Phone 203-324-6045 ET
    NailHead Mini-Starters '53-'66
    Adjustable Roller Tip Rocker Arms - All NailHeads
    Custom forged pistons
    Front & rear neoprene seals
    Many other "Nail" parts
    "If I can't get it, you don't need it!"