Thread: Hello from California

Thumbs up Hello from California

Good morning everyone. This is my first classic car a 1967 Buick Riviera and first Buick. I bought it back in Jun of 2016 and parked it in my garage since at the time I was in the middle of an engine swap on my other car. The car has tags from 2002 and the man I bought it from got it in a trade from a old friend of his in 1998. Which was the last time it was driven.
    2 weeks ago my cousin and I poured some gas in the carb hooked up a fresh battery and cranked it. the started spun the motor with ease but it didn't start. So I change the coil and points and tried again. The car started up quick and sounded nice the oil was topped off and clean but no coolant. We shut it down quick so we don't damage the engine. I was told by some co-workers I should have poured some diesel in the cylinders before starting it so I don't damage the wall. I might do that this week I hope its not to late if it matters. The car has been I California its entire life. Do you think I should drop the gas tank and clean it.
    This week I put the car on jack stands and pulled the wheels off. 3 of the wheels are damaged so now I have to look for some used wheels. I Don't really know what a good deal would be and don't want to be ripped off. I took my 1 good wheel to a chrome shop and got a 300 dollar quote per wheel. I'm starting to realize that this car is going to be expensive.
    I'm about to give the car a tune up this weekend. Any recommendations on what to use (plugs, wires, filters, ECT). The car has a little over 70,000 miles on it. Should I worry about the rear end of just change gasket and oil since its leaking?
    A little about myself. I'm 34 yrs old born and raised in the central valley CA. Navy 5 yrs from 2000-2005. Not married but might as well be. We have 2 boys and have been together since 2005. I'm a aviation mechanic and have been doing this since 2001. Travel lots of places, seen a lot of cool things while in the Navy. Ive live in Cheasapeak VA for about 2 years and that was different. I hope to learn a lot from you guys hopefully ill get my car going soon. Thanks

Everyone has their own way. No need to put diesel in it. You said it started easy so just add your coolant. My 79 sat form 98 to 15 with the same miles as yours. All I did was flush the gas tank, change all fluids, filters, hoses, brakes, plugs, tires and everything else that had to do with going down the road. I also added a couple of gauges just in case my original weren't working so good which as it turned out they were not. All time consuming but no big cost. Re-chroming? I'd put tags and insurance on the car before that. Besides, patina seems to be the thing these days. Just getting that baby on the road will be great and the other things will get done before you know it!
    1979 TRegal