Thread: 71 Skylark 350 2bbl. Happy owner for 27yrs.

71 Skylark 350 2bbl. Happy owner for 27yrs.

Had this car since senior in high school and every day driver till 2008. Still basically road ready but want to tear down and bring back to every day driver except with more performance. Possible fuel injection conversion with minor shift kit. Want to keep 3 speed automatic column shifter. Love This Car.

TA has an alum intake with injection bungs on it ...

are you dead set against a different trans? 200r4 would be almost a bolt on and would get you an extra gear.
    The way to crush the bourgeoisie is to grind them between the millstones of taxation and inflation.
    Vladimir Lenin

Government schooling is about "the perfect organization of the hive."
    H.H. Goddard, Human Efficiency (1920)

sorry for delay in responding.

Not dead set against it but I am 2nd owner of car and all numbers match and don't want to store extra parts and possibly spend extra money to do it. Like the idea of extra gear though, overdrive?

Still in planning phase as newbie first timer to restoring car. Some I will do and some I will pay professional. Car is stock 2bbl, no a/c and 4wheel drum brakes. I would like to change this. My plan is to install a/c while vehicle running, then pull engine and trans, drop frame from body, I sand blast and paint frame, add new fuel and brake lines and convert to 4 wheel disc, I weld in new passenger floor panel and trunk panel, I prime and paint underside of body, drop body back on frame, pay someone to rebuild engine and trans and reinstall, drive to body shop for body work, then I do interior. That is plan anyway so far.

I'm thinking of 4 wheel disc kit from Summit but not 100% sold on them yet, want to make sure good solid system and American made. I replace fuel and brake lines (OPGI?) on chassis.

Seem to have most trouble researching A/C system. Not much out there for Skylarks unless not looking in right areas. Chevelle and Skylark same here? My research indicates need change out alternator, water pump (short?) and crank shaft pulleys for 350 (72 stamped on exhaust manifold) engine. Also having trouble identifying compressor brackets. Trying to keep as close to factory original set up as possible. Since car came from factory without ac I need complete system and previous info seems to be left out of most aftermarket kit explanations. Also don't have vents in dash so will need to go with underdash mount system. I live in FL so A/C needs to be cold and the defrost function needs to be incorporated into A/C system.

If post too long please advise on protocol.

Thanks for info on previous thread and will keep trans and intake info in mind as plans always subject to change