- 1964-1967 SP400 Parts Images
- How to wire the Switch Pitch on a Buick Transmission
    - 400 auto codes
- BOP Bellhousings and Automatic Identification

Thread: 1956 buick special 3 spd

1956 buick special 3 spd

The 56 buick that i got for my wife has been a fun project so far but i am noticing that the clutch needs replacing and i have been looking for a good source for the clutch , pressure plate and associated bearings. i understand that the rear end needs to be dropped out and the torque tube needs removing. Also im courious as to the parts needed to rebuild the torque ball if needed. Im having a hard time finding a source for any of these parts and was wondering where you guys are finding these. is there a GM designation for this transmission that would aid in locating them? i know that this has the 10.5 inch clutch and have seen some listed as 10.4? If any of you guys have done this i could use some advice on special tools needed for the removal. thanks in advance. i would like to be able to get this done before the parade and car show season.

the 1957 shop manual is here:
    https://www.teambuick.com/reference/...ssis/index.php

that version of the Special is supposed to have run from 49-58 so the 57 manual should probably cover all your service needs. we've also got the 52 if you think you need it.

check Bob's for parts

http://bobsautomobilia.com/
    The way to crush the bourgeoisie is to grind them between the millstones of taxation and inflation.
    Vladimir Lenin

Government schooling is about "the perfect organization of the hive."
    H.H. Goddard, Human Efficiency (1920)

thanks bob ,ill check the link, i have an original 1956 buick shop manual that i was able to pick up cheap enough and it is in excellent condition. my biggest issue is with locating the parts and some of the special tools for disassembly plus i haven't delt with something like the tourqe ball and boot? ill try and read as much as i can and look forward to some more replies on parts.

ok guys i think i found a source and maybe 2 sources for all the parts i need but i have an important question about the clutch size , i know the 56 has a 10.5 in clutch and i was wondering if i can use a bigger clutch (11.0) as one of the sources said it would work and give me more surface engagement, makes sense ( maybe a 57 set up) im assuming it would be a complete set clutch and pressure plate. would like to order these parts very soon but dont want to jump the gun and get the wrong ones. i have no reason not to trust the guy as he is a very nice guy to talk with and deals in these parts alot . he has a network of oldtimers he buys NOS parts from and a couple of his sources said it was alright , any body have any experience using a bigger clutch in a 56 three speed i can use the advice , thanks again

Use the 56 clutch/pressure plate. Sometimes the contact area on the flywheel will not allow a larger clutch... and a larger pressure plate may make it necessary to drill and tap new holes in the flywheel.

The torque tube DOES NOT have to be removed only jacked back.

Call me sometime & I can explain.

Tom T.
    Tom Telesco
    Classic and Muscle Automotive
    12 Cook St.
    Norwalk, CT 06853-1601
    Day Phone 203-324-6045 ET
    NailHead Mini-Starters '53-'66
    Adjustable Roller Tip Rocker Arms - All NailHeads
    Custom forged pistons
    Front & rear neoprene seals
    Many other "Nail" parts
    "If I can't get it, you don't need it!"

tom thanks for the offer i will try and get a hold of you this afternoon. that would save a lot of work!

And I have the Pressure Plate, Clutch Disc, Throw Out Bearing, and Pilot Bearing ---- all BRAND NEW --
    cheaper than the Rebuilders want to Rebuild it all................
    Call me -- Craig -- 516 - 485 - 1935........Long Island, New York.....

craig i pmed you several times . i am interested in the clutch (10.5 in only) , pressure plate , throw out bearing , and pilot bearing. i was also interested in your return policy if i have fitment issues when the parts arrive. i would be very dissapointed to receive them and not fit. also if you could send me an itemized list of the prices for the parts. thanks Chris