-
263 Head X-Sections
    - Building a High Performance Straight Eight
- Buick Straight Eight Lifter Adjustment
- Straight Eight Intake Manifold X-Sections
- Straight Eight Oil Supply Update

Thread: 1946 sedanette 248 snapped valve spring HELP

1946 sedanette 248 snapped valve spring HELP

so let me start with making everyone aware that I'm only a 22 year old. Now what one of you elder hoarders has my box of valve springs for the 248 behemoth I've been looking for. Also I've gone to Napa and they basically said machine shop or bust so I've got no leads, no connections, or local network but I did happen to find the pretty machined aluminum stuff from Blakes machinery that is about 1400$ over my budget right now.
    thus far all I have sourced from the google gods is:Inner Spring: 45 @ 1-5/16; Outer Spring: 67 @ 1-19/32Valve Stem Clearance: Intake: .0025;Exhaust: .003
    ANY INPUT OR LECTURES ABOUT VALVE TRAIN WILL BE VERY APPRECIATED... The motor turns over by hand I've rebuilt the starter then I noticed the snapped valve spring Ta Da

1946 sedanette 248 snapped valve spring HELP

8 bucks

https://www.buickfarm.com/240/117/gm...e-spring-outer

I hope it goes well, but from my experience, to get any old motor running well you gotta dump some serious $$$ in them, and the supporting systems too (fuel lines, radiator, ignition, not to mention brakes, transmission, etc)

Thanks Jacob well and ordered the rest of what they had in stock. I'm planning on starting this thing then driving it 20ft across the driveway too its new covered heated home for teardown and rebuild. I'm not planning on building cheap just struggle with resources and knowledge aside from this my oldest projects have all been 80s beaters and such... looking forward to learning!!!!

valve spring

Jacob, don't be such a kiljoy.!

itsabuick, if you do not find one shortly, holler.

Ben

thanks guys I really need this thing retired from weather and in some sheltered space for me to actually tear down up here in the northwest the rain really like to ruin my precious metals... I just finished my rx7 enough for road and legal conditions now its time for the one that really matters.
    Attached Images Attached Images

nice looking ride
    52 Special.
    Tin Militia CC

nothing but potential ordered the last 4 springs in stock... plan is to use those on springs most worn I guess and gravity feed some fuel through carb to get her moved 20ft across driveway. THEN rebuild tear down begins starting with disc brake conversion, I really want some fancy cam setup, weld up pin holes and exterminate all rust and haven't made it much further than that really but basically I'm not expecting this thing to see the road for 3-5 years much less daylight in general........ but when it does

Valve springs

Hello Itsabuick,
    The Buick you have should be a fun restoration. Let me know what you need. I have a couple of 248 engines for a 1939 Special. I think most of the parts are interchangeable.P1010499.JPG P1010489.JPG

I am located in Florida. These are pictures of my 39 Buick after a full frame off restoration.
    Gene

**** thanks Casey I intend on going round 2 with wanting to start this thing on Saturday so ill update on how all that goes. The behemoth only needs to move 20ft and then in my tear down I will slowly accumulate parts needed but I'm really looking forward to this build. I also lucked out on the interior because its ALL LEATHER door cards, seats, and rear sidewalls wrapped in leather that would put modern Mercedes Benz to shame. so really I'm only worried about engine bay, floors, carpet, and brakes especially brakes any of you guys done a disk conversion on one of these?

Soooooo I got my results Saturday evening after replacing the valve spring and cleaning up the rocker shaft assy the Friday before... she came right back too life after discovering my contact was toast and started an electrical fire in the distributer. she drove her 20ft A LOT smoother than expected I might adjust my valves and inspect my brakes, bearings, diff, trans, and go cruise this behemoth clutch works great only noticeable defects is some loud valve chatter but at the end of the day not a bad way to spend 3k all my gauges even work anyway I absolutely love my Buick AKA my coffin peace out bitches.