Thread: New member

Hi ,
    My name is Rob Dean from Melbourne Australia. In 2009 I bought a 1967 Buick Skylark Convertible with a 300 cu in engine from the USA. It has been a fantastic vehicle, recently I purchased a new Robbins soft top with a glass window from CA & have had it fitted here in Melbourne.
    It looks magnificent, the issue I have is that I was under the impression that I could put the top down without using the zip to lower the glass window first. The installer has advised me to lower the window first.
    The question is can I put the top down without doing that or do I have use the zipper to lower the rear window first. Interested in any views on this.
    Regards
    Rob Dean

no idea.

but we DO have the 1967 Chassis manual, that might have some useful comment:

https://www.teambuick.com/reference/...ssis/index.php
    The way to crush the bourgeoisie is to grind them between the millstones of taxation and inflation.
    Vladimir Lenin

Government schooling is about "the perfect organization of the hive."
    H.H. Goddard, Human Efficiency (1920)

1967 Buick Skylark convertible (soft top)

Bob thank you for your reply I believe that originally the 67 did not come with a glass window so they are an after market option.
    The previous soft top I had on the car as it turns out was an "Ez On" which I could put down without unzipping. I went for the more expensive option as I was told it was able to be lowered without unzipping & the Ez On could not be lowered without unzipping. It's a real pain, you know where, to unzip anyhow if I have to so be it.
    Thanks once again for your reply.
    Regards
    Rob Dean

I think the recommended procedure in '67 was to unzip the window to reduce wrinkling of the plastic window. I am sure it was rarely done. The glass window may be zipped in for a similar reason, to reduce stresses on the top material and seams. You could carefully put the top down and see how it behaves.

WEBNOTE: When inserting an email in a posting, use the "smilie" @ so that web robots don't pick up your address and send you more junk mail!
    Members can be contacted by clicking on their "handle", but you are much better off to post to the thread!

Smile 1967 Buick Skylark convertible

Bob thank you for your rely I will give it a go thanks again
    Rob D

Many have a problem with unzipping or re-zipping the zipper with the top fully up. Just raise the top a little to remove the stress/stretch & it will zip & unzip easily. MUCH BETTER than taking a chance & breaking the rear glass. NOW you have a real PIA to get it replaced if something unfortunate happens. I myself wouldn't take the chance.

Tom T.
    Tom Telesco
    Classic and Muscle Automotive
    12 Cook St.
    Norwalk, CT 06853-1601
    Day Phone 203-324-6045 ET
    NailHead Mini-Starters '53-'66
    Adjustable Roller Tip Rocker Arms - All NailHeads
    Custom forged pistons
    Front & rear neoprene seals
    Many other "Nail" parts
    "If I can't get it, you don't need it!"

Smile 1967 Buick convertible

Thanks Tom for your advice I have tried your process & it certainly is a lot easier than trying to unzip & rezip with hood shut.
    Tanks again
    Rob D