Thread: Hello from North Carolina

Hello from North Carolina

New to the forum and just wanted to say Hi. I don't have a Buick, but I do have a couple of 215's. The plan is to rebuild and swap one of the 215's into a 81 Chevy Luv. I also have a 300, we might look at stroking one of the 215's with the 300 crank. And down the road possibly stroking the 300. It's all in the amount of fun you can handle, money in your pocket and an understanding wife!

sounds like some fun projects
    52 Special.
    Tin Militia CC

And down the road possibly stroking the 300.

so you're aware of the Buick 340ci / 350ci crank swap into the 300? i think there was one D&D engine that actually managed to wedge the 350 crank into a Rover block ( 4.6L? ), so the Super Stroker 215 / Rover is physically possible with some creative shaving. iirc, they cut the snout of the crank to mount the late model Rover gerotor oil pump and it wound up breaking and throwing the balancer around the dyno room.

go with an 'older' Buick style timing cover and you wouldn't have to modify the crank snout, you'd just use the old style cam driven Buick pump ...

I also have a 300, we might look at stroking one of the 215's with the 300 crank

the Britishv8 guys love to put 300 heads on top of the 215 / Rover as well as doing the crank swap. it's a cheap head upgrade, especially if you're going to go with a sheet metal intake.

obviously, the TA heads are the way to go for an all out build. that might cause marital problems though ...

<i>and an understanding wife!</i>

hah, yes.

if the wife is not understanding, you'll soon not have any money in your pocket.
    The way to crush the bourgeoisie is to grind them between the millstones of taxation and inflation.
    Vladimir Lenin

Government schooling is about "the perfect organization of the hive."
    H.H. Goddard, Human Efficiency (1920)

I get tired of the usual builds. I've built 350's and 400's and it seems like everyone else is building a 350. Yes, parts are easy to find and cheaper. But there are other motors out there that I think are either forgotten or pushed off to the side because they don't fit the norm. How often have you popped a hood went face to face with a stroked Buick 300 or a stroked 215? It's all in what you can afford and find interesting.

I've tried to read most everything on the British V8 site and have done loads of searches. Seems that the Aussies have quite a love affair with the rover 4.0 and 4.6, even a few 215's in the mix.

I'll build a mostly stock 215 and get the Luv rolling then stroke the other 215 to a 266 of so. I'd love to run across an old Jetfire turbo off of an old Oldsmobile F85 Jetfire.

There are a few articles on the 215, 300 in the reference section you might be interested in

WEBNOTE: When inserting an email in a posting, use the "smilie" @ so that web robots don't pick up your address and send you more junk mail!
    Members can be contacted by clicking on their "handle", but you are much better off to post to the thread!

Thanks for the tip on the articles, Bob. I'll take a look.