Thread: Buick Sprint

Buick Sprint

I am building an 87 Stanton 401 Buick powered sprint car for vintage racing and some street use. My largest obstacle is making it "streetable" mainly the removal of the in and out box and getting a transmission that will fit between my legs utilizing the torque tube and splined shaft (no room for clutch pedal) a Phoenix transmission is available but is not very streetable. It is a work in progress but it is fun!

wow.

isn't the Nailhead pretty heavy for a Sprint car?

winged or non?

could you get a hydraulic throwout and rig a handle to operate that by hand? you know, kind of like a motorcycle?
    The way to crush the bourgeoisie is to grind them between the millstones of taxation and inflation.
    Vladimir Lenin

Government schooling is about "the perfect organization of the hive."
    H.H. Goddard, Human Efficiency (1920)

buick sprint transmission

I think the 401 is about 50 pounds heavier than a small block Chevy, I will use a hand clutch, just not sure which transmission I will use. Mike's Transmissions in CA has a powerglide with no valvebody, 2 speeds forward, a reverse and operates off a ball valve using the powerglides front pump, it is small and will accept a torque tube and is about 1500 bucks cheaper than a Phoenix

hmmm, sounds like a winner.

I think the 401 is about 50 pounds heavier than a small block Chevy

are you sure? i thought the SBC was a little under 600lb while the big Nails ( 401 is the same deck height and stroke as a 425 ) ran over 700lb. am i misremembering that?

funny thing is, once TA gets their aluminum heads out, you'll probably be able to get a Buick 350ci down to almost 350lb.

alum single plane intake
    alum heads
    mini-starter
    undersize modern alternator
    delete the AC ( and power steering? )

the OEM SBB starts out at ~475lbs ...
    The way to crush the bourgeoisie is to grind them between the millstones of taxation and inflation.
    Vladimir Lenin

He's correct. A SBC ready to run & a "Nail" ready to run is about 50pds. heavier. Could shave some weight using one of MY Mini-Starters at 6lbs. 12 ozs. instead of close to 30pds. Could also shave some weight with an aluminum 2x4 manifold or even better if the aluminum 1x4 ever becomes available.

Tom T.
    Tom Telesco
    Classic and Muscle Automotive
    12 Cook St.
    Norwalk, CT 06853-1601
    Day Phone 203-324-6045 ET
    NailHead Mini-Starters '53-'66
    Adjustable Roller Tip Rocker Arms - All NailHeads
    Custom forged pistons
    Front & rear neoprene seals
    Many other "Nail" parts
    "If I can't get it, you don't need it!"

A SBC ready to run & a "Nail" ready to run is about 50pds. heavier.

a Nailhead weighs the same as a Buick 455? ****, we need to get some of those TA BBB heads on one.

every time i see Buick engines in a weight list, the big Nails are near 700lb, the 455 is under 650lb and the SBC is under 600lb.

such as

http://www.gomog.com/allmorgan/engineweights.html

now, i've never scaled any of these myself so i can't vouch for any numbers. that just seems to be what everybody 'knows'.
    Vladimir Lenin