- Buick F-263 Head/Gasket Swaps, effects on compression
- Straight Eight Engine Specifications
-
263 Head X-Sections
    - Building a High Performance Straight Eight
- Buick Straight Eight Lifter Adjustment
- Straight Eight Intake Manifold X-Sections
- Straight Eight Oil Supply Update

Thread: Buick Straight 8 EFI Conversion - Experiences?

Buick Straight 8 EFI Conversion - Experiences?

I知 considering to convert my Buick Straight 8 to EFI and was wondering if anybody had any experience with this.

One of the questions I have to those who already did this is: how will it affect the fuel economy?

And is there any hassle free conversion? Mega-Squirt, Edelbrock, a.s.o. seem to be not too complicated to install on SBCs, but I知 not so sure that it will be the same on a Straight 8.

Thanks!

FYI:
    I致e got a 1949 Buick Super Sedanet, converted to a TH350C and a new rear end. I知 about to put in a 1952 320 Straight 8 (the one with the four barrel carb).

I bet a small throttle body carb type would work very well.

Efi

I believe you will have a hell of a job in stalling the 320 in place of the 248. Please post pics when done.

I have a throttle body EFI on my 1950 Straight Eight. Works like a champ!

Ben

Quote Originally Posted by firstofeight View Post
    I believe you will have a hell of a job in stalling the 320 in place of the 248. Please post pics when done.

I have a throttle body EFI on my 1950 Straight Eight. Works like a champ!

Ben
    Great! Just the man I was hoping for. Which model did you use? Any problems with adjustments/programming?
    Did you need a fuel return system? Pump im the tank or external?

I don't think there will be that many problems with fitting in the 320. It's about 4-6 inches longer, but since I already have installed an electric waterpump and an electric fan (in front of the radiator) there is plenty of room. A friend will help me with designing the engine mounts. He's a pro. I'm looking forward to the swap, the 320 was rebuild and improved and should put out a lot more power.

Efi

Quote Originally Posted by Katu View Post
    Great! Just the man I was hoping for. Which model did you use? Any problems with adjustments/programming?
    Did you need a fuel return system? Pump im the tank or external?

I don't think there will be that many problems with fitting in the 320. It's about 4-6 inches longer, but since I already have installed an electric waterpump and an electric fan (in front of the radiator) there is plenty of room. A friend will help me with designing the engine mounts. He's a pro. I'm looking forward to the swap, the 320 was rebuild and improved and should put out a lot more power.

Katu,the unit I have is an Affordable Fuel Injection, a re purposed 1990 Chevy pick up unit. It uses the 1990 "computer" as well. Works ok. External fuel pump. Fuel return line. No programming. If I were doing it now [ did mine about five years ago] I would probably use FiTech. A lot less wiring and the programmer is built in.

Ben

Quote Originally Posted by firstofeight View Post
    Katu,the unit I have is an Affordable Fuel Injection, a re purposed 1990 Chevy pick up unit. It uses the 1990 "computer" as well. Works ok. External fuel pump. Fuel return line. No programming. If I were doing it now [ did mine about five years ago] I would probably use FiTech. A lot less wiring and the programmer is built in.

Ben

Thanks for the input. That's just what a friend recommended to me yesterday. After you said the same I took a look at it and placed an order. It get's very good reviews everywhere. I like the fact that it doesn't need a return fuel-line if you use the extra-tank. That way it's easier to swap it back to carburetor if I ever want it period-correct.

Katu