Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: New member from Germany - 1949 Buick Super Sedanet 320

Updates on my project

So,

I‘ve been asked for an update on my project... thanks Ben for reminding me that it has been so long :-P

The engine-swap worked out just fine. Thanks to half a ton of iron my Sedanet is now two inch closer to the ground which looks really nice but needed some adjustments of the steering (custom made pitmans arm) and the chassis geometry (too much camber). The rebuild Roadmaster engine is a real nice upgrade with about 250 HP instead of 115 :-) Only the fuel injection gave me a hard time for month. Adjusting it to work with a straight 8 instead of a V8 was a real pain in the rear end. After that other problems showed up. First the ignition did not have enough power and the engine shut off at the most inconvenient moments (stranded on a busy highway in the middle of the night with no hazard lights, fearing for my life and my Sedanet) until I replaced the petronix system with a better distributor (http://performancedistributors.com/p...i-distributor/). After that problem was solved it became summer and the fuel commander (a little fuel tank that came with the Fitech EFI) decided that it didn‘t like the hot german summer and overheated every other mile. My next move is to throw out the fuel commander and just put in a fuel pump that was made for EFIs. A friend of mine has a build like that (with a V8) and he had no problem with his Fitech EFI ever since. I plan to finish the project until the end of this month. Wish me luck.

Update

Thanks, Katu! Quick response.

Sorry you are having problems. What, exactly, was/is the fuel center doing?

Ben

fuel command center

Well the official description for the fuel command center is:
    „The FiTech Go EFI Fuel Command Center sump kits use your stock low-pressure manual or EFI pump to feed its sump tank—delivering enough go-juice to power up to 800 hp engines. The pump is submerged in fuel, allowing it to run cooler and quieter than external units. A float in the sump automatically shuts off once the correct level is reached, at which point the pump dead heads against the Fuel Command Center.“

So it‘s meant to make the installation easier by utilising the fuel delivery setup you already have from the tank to the engine compartment. the only other way to install the EFI that the manufacturer recommends is to convert the tank you have by putting a modern fuel pump in it or replace it with a tank that has a pump build in.
    Since I didn‘t want to mess with my tank and wanted a easy installation I thought this would be the way to go. But there are tons if videos on youtube from people who have temperature issues with the fuel command center (FCC), there is also an official fix to the problem which is a modification of the FCC and I think they sell a newer version of it now with less problems, but I rather try to live without it and try the way my buddy did it with an external fuel pump so I get to have more room in the engine compartment (maybe for a vintage air A/C someday) and get less questions asked by german officials next time I have a technical inspection (everything has to be ORIGINAL in Germany if you want to insure a classic car).

Katu, can you please show me a pic of the EFI "carb" on the intake? That's an interesting option for our project.

@Dragrace66

Here is a video: https://youtu.be/5q32evJng-c

Top, first time I saw a 4 barrel on a straight eight.