Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: New member from Germany - 1949 Buick Super Sedanet 320

New member from Germany - 1949 Buick Super Sedanet 320

Hi there,

since three years now I'm the proud owner of a 49' Super Sedanet. I never thought it would take 3 years to bring it on the road again. But when you fix one thing, you discover another and at one point I just decided to make it a foolproof daily driver without changing too much of the appearance. So now my Super has a new drivetrain with a TH350C and a new rear end, a contactless ignition, electric water pump and fan, dual-circuit braking system (with original drum brakes), the original tube radio is restored and has a hidden bluetooth receiver, the wiper motor was replaced by an electric one. All seals have been replaced and the next thing that will be done is to replace the original 248 cui straight 8 with a rebuilt and improved 1952 Roadmaster 320 cui straight 8.

Interior and chrome looks a bit shabby though and the red paint job is not the nicest in the world, but I don't want it too perfect. Otherwise I'll be to cautious to drive it.

I'm thinking about converting the 320 to EFI, but I'll write my questions in another post.

Greetings from Germany,
    Katu

the next thing that will be done is to replace the original 248 cui straight 8 with a rebuilt and improved 1952 Roadmaster 320 cui straight 8

oooh, the 320ci is a bit longer.

are you going to have to modify much in order to get that to fit?
    The way to crush the bourgeoisie is to grind them between the millstones of taxation and inflation.
    Vladimir Lenin

Government schooling is about "the perfect organization of the hive."
    H.H. Goddard, Human Efficiency (1920)

Quote Originally Posted by bob k. mando View Post
    the next thing that will be done is to replace the original 248 cui straight 8 with a rebuilt and improved 1952 Roadmaster 320 cui straight 8

oooh, the 320ci is a bit longer.

are you going to have to modify much in order to get that to fit?

The 320 is about 5 inch longer. But I made room for it by replacing my broken water pump with an electric pump and the fan with electric fans that I placed in front of the radiator. There should be enough room. If not, there is lots of room in front of the radiator, so that I could relocate it and make more room in the engine compartment.

'49 Super

Will the 320 make it a "1949 Century" ?

Ben

Quote Originally Posted by firstofeight View Post
    Will the 320 make it a "1949 Century" ?

Ben
    😝👍 Definitely!

The rear axle and the transmission give it a wider gear ratio. I already did 90 mph on the german Autobahn with the old 248. I'm not planning to drive that fast all he time (I also need to do something about the noise insulation) but it's nice to know I can.

I aim to see how economic an old straight 8 can be moved when everything is optimised and I definitely will use it for some tours across Europe. So I'm looking forward to the new motor.

IMG_7567.JPG

Some new pics from the garage

Finally the 320 Straight8 is fixed in place. It's not only longer but also higher. So we need a few more modifications to it's new environment. And the headers are still work in progress.

Sedanet_garage_kl.jpg320_straight8_top_wide.jpg320_straight8_front.jpg320_straight8_front2.jpg320_straight8_top.jpg

New pictures

I like it. I like it.

Ben

Hello from Germany

I am a lucky owner of a buick special from 1955 since severals weeks. In the moment it is in work to get the German street legal. Furthermore I would like to make some improvements.
    I look forward to the car and the summer and I am able to use it. But now I have a question, too, because I am looking for an old stile radio, but with modern technic. I cannot find it neither in the
    web nor in a shop in Germany. The typical radio of the 1955 buick has rounded edges. The offers show only cornered edges. I saw pictueres in the web with radios which fit, but I cannot find anything. Perhaps somebody can help me.
    I would be very glad for your support.

Thanks an bests wishes from Germany
    roadrunner 53

hrm, a modern stereo with "old style" facade is a pretty specialized request. i would suggest the www.RivOwners.org forum but the oldest Riviera is only 1963.

perhaps the AACA forums would know? they tend to get into a lot more of the 1930s-50s cars.
    The way to crush the bourgeoisie is to grind them between the millstones of taxation and inflation.
    Vladimir Lenin

Government schooling is about "the perfect organization of the hive."
    H.H. Goddard, Human Efficiency (1920)

There are vendors who can upgrade an original radio to tune in both AM and FM bands and provide other modern electronic enhancements. The exterior of the radio looks the same as before, plus the original knobs, buttons, and dial still function. Being in Germany, you may need additional bands on the radio.

The 1954 and 55 Buicks have an arch-shaped cutout in the dash for the dial. This makes installation of a standard replacement unit difficult. The original Buick Sonomatic radio made by DELCO with pushbutton tuner is a part number 981651. The Selectronic electrically-tuned unit is a 981652. Corresponding 1954 radios have a black dial instead of gray as found on the 55s. Retrofitting the Selectronic unit may turn out to be much more difficult than the regular Sonomatic unit.

It will help to locate an original unit by searching for Buick or DELCO and the radio part number. Many times sellers have a radio showing the part number, but they do not know which cars it fits.
    What has been, can be again. (Bob Wills, 1942)