- Buick 400, 430, 455 Engine Specifications
- Buick Staging Chart
- Differences Between 1970-71 And 1972 and Later Type Block
- Head Flow Chart
- Cam Button
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Timing cover seal (non-rope)

Question Timing cover seal (non-rope)

Just bought a new timing cover for my 67 GS 400. It came with a rubber seal in a metal housing, which I like better than the rope seal cause I can never get them installed right so they don't leak.

Anyway, the new seal does not go into the new timing cover at all. I have a seal driver kit but am afraid to whack it too hard cause the timing cover is aluminum. I cam bore it out a bit with a dremal tool but wanted some opinions first.

The timing cover is a Pro-Form cover i bought off of Amazon. It was 250.00 so maybe it is not the best one I could have purchased but i am on a budget and married. If I were not married i would have 20 cars that don't run and would live above the garage so marriage is a good thing for me.

Thoughts on boring out the timing cover? I also ordered a new seal just in case the wrong seal came with the cover. It is one or the other and in either case, Pro-Form's quality assurance is lacking.

It is not impossible, but it would seem that the seal supplied should fit. Do you know someone with a small press, that can work better than a hammer and driver because you can be assured of a flat, square drive.

Seals usually go in with a moderate force. It could be a good idea to take it to someone who can measure it with reasonable accuracy. If you just had a bunch of machine work done on your motor, the machine shop would probably do it for free. They would probably not charge much to install it for you. At least they will have the experience to say probably good or too tight.

If you are determined to do it yourself, you might like to consider warming the cover before you risk damaging it with what would be considered a questionable fix (if you do it, set it in loctite or ?). You could use an oven and take it to 350 degrees, and freeze the seal for an hour or two. Then have a helper (rehearse the procedure with them and a good choice of tools ready, speed is everything.

WEBNOTE: When inserting an email in a posting, use the "smilie" @ so that web robots don't pick up your address and send you more junk mail!
    Members can be contacted by clicking on their "handle", but you are much better off to post to the thread!

Good idea Bob.

I do have a shop that pressed in a axel bearing for me a few months ago so I can ask them to try it for me.

Thanks.

Got the new seal.

The seal sent by pro-form was the wrong seal. Just got a new one from auto-zone and it fits.

Thanks for the help.

GREAT!

WEBNOTE: When inserting an email in a posting, use the "smilie" @ so that web robots don't pick up your address and send you more junk mail!
    Members can be contacted by clicking on their "handle", but you are much better off to post to the thread!

The seal sent by pro-form was the wrong seal.

well THAT seems like a major quality control foul up ...
    The way to crush the bourgeoisie is to grind them between the millstones of taxation and inflation.
    Vladimir Lenin

Government schooling is about "the perfect organization of the hive."
    H.H. Goddard, Human Efficiency (1920)

Oh boy am I screwed

The timing cover fits like a glove when I dry fit but the stock oil pump gears don't fit. This timing cover is useless unless I can find smaller oil pump gears. I may have to bite the bullet and put out the $500.00 for a timing cover from JEGS. I'm sick over this.

Don't waste any more time or $$$ using all the diff. multiple INFERIOR timing covers. Get one from T/A performance. Rather costly but what isn't for a quality made USA part.
    Tom Telesco
    Classic and Muscle Automotive
    12 Cook St.
    Norwalk, CT 06853-1601
    Day Phone 203-324-6045 ET
    NailHead Mini-Starters '53-'66
    Adjustable Roller Tip Rocker Arms - All NailHeads
    Custom forged pistons
    Front & rear neoprene seals
    Many other "Nail" parts
    "If I can't get it, you don't need it!"

Quote Originally Posted by Shakadula51 View Post
    The timing cover fits like a glove when I dry fit but the stock oil pump gears don't fit. This timing cover is useless unless I can find smaller oil pump gears. I may have to bite the bullet and put out the $500.00 for a timing cover from JEGS. I'm sick over this.

I agree with Tom, the TA timing cover is much better than the Chineseum Proform. You get what you pay for. Just curious though, what do you mean when you say the pump gears don't fit. Can you be more specific?
    Larry

1970 GS455 Stage1 Race weight 4025 lbs.
    TSP 470, 602 HP, 589 TQ
    MT headers, Gear Vendors Overdrive
    Best E.T. 11.54 Best MPH, 116.06
    1998 Riviera SC3800

man, i hope you can get a refund out of this. that's a major screw job.
    The way to crush the bourgeoisie is to grind them between the millstones of taxation and inflation.
    Vladimir Lenin

Government schooling is about "the perfect organization of the hive."
    H.H. Goddard, Human Efficiency (1920)