- Building a High Performance Straight Eight
- Buick Straight Eight Lifter Adjustment
- Straight Eight Intake Manifold X-Sections
- Straight Eight Oil Supply Update
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: "hopped up" 263

"hopped up" 263

Hi, folks,

I have bored block by .125 [ to 85mm], added Arris 9.5:1 compression pistons and had Dema Elgin grind a cam. The head was modified with larger valves, 3 angle grind. Head was cleaned up on intake ports. I installed in place of the 248 in my 1950 Special.

Sometime ago, I installed a throttle body fuel injection. Then later exhaust headers and a home built intake. The intake is made of a "U" connecting the two front intake ports and same for back ones. Another "U" connects these two and has a box about 5 in square that mounts the throttle body. Even though this is a shade tree built intake, it seemed to work well. When the 248 was pulled and the manifolds removed, it was observed the four center [3,4,5,6] exhaust ports were sooty. The other four are good. I installed the same set up on the 263. After about 20 miles and perhaps a total of 1 1/5 hour other running, #6 plug was pulled. Sooty! #7 pulled and is clean. I have not checked the remainder. So any ideas?

I will be pulling the intake this week as there is a vacuum leak at the back port. Also have to locate and repair a couple noisy hydraulic lifters.

Thanks for any comments
    Ben

Picture please.

I am going to do similar manifold on my 263. Would like to see a picture of yours?

Ben, check the plugs again after a prolonged highway speed run. Any engine will show 'soot' on some or all plugs if examined after cold starts.

Oh yeah we need pictures! Would love to see what you did to your 263. I have one stock in my 51' now and another that is waiting "hopped up" treatment someday. Dual carbs and headers in the near future for the stock one. I am very interested in what others have to say about your fuel issue. Wish I could help but I am new to the fuel modifications arena. I'll be watching! Good luck!

sounds flippn rad. I'd do compression test and leakdown. Andy.
    52 Special.
    Tin Militia CC

hopped up 263

Quote Originally Posted by 322bnh View Post
    Ben, check the plugs again after a prolonged highway speed run. Any engine will show 'soot' on some or all plugs if examined after cold starts.
    Hooray!!
    322, you are correct. I drove it about 50 miles today. I checked plugs as soon as I reached home. Look GOOD!!

I still have to fix the vacuum leak. I did locate it at the bottom of the back intake port. So intake manifold comes off soon. Then to tear into the noisy lifter/pushrod . Not looking forward to that.

For all wanting pictures, there is a thread on the Buick forums, Modified, on the AACA web site. If some knows how to link it, be my guest. Thread is Modified 263 for my 1950 41D.

The engine is STRONG. About 60 miles on it now. I hesitate getting on it too hard yet. Soon.

Ben

Where is that 'like' button?. Congrats Ben, I know that brought a smile to your face driving it 50 mi after install. The 'like' button is the only thing that works for me on the AACA/Buick Forums, I cannot post or private message but I can read and like. TexasJohn55

Also a shout out to 322bnh, glad to see you still making the rounds. John

http://forums.aaca.org/topic/276286-...r-my-1950-41d/

just go up to your address bar in your browser,
    left click anywhere in the bar with your mouse,
    Ctrl+A then ( hotkey for 'select all' )
    Ctr+C ( hotkey for 'copy' selection to the clipboard )
    go to website for new post
    Ctr+V ( hotkey for 'paste' selection from clipboard to editing area )
    The way to crush the bourgeoisie is to grind them between the millstones of taxation and inflation.
    Vladimir Lenin

Government schooling is about "the perfect organization of the hive."
    H.H. Goddard, Human Efficiency (1920)

Bob, thanks for linking that and thanks for the info. I will have to try soon.

I have removed the rocker arm assembly and the push rod cover. Everything looks good. I keep waiting for inspiration to hit.

Ben