Identification, VIN, Trim, Engine Specs and more... 
 '50   '51   '52   '53   '54   '55   '56   '57   '58   '59   o 
 p 
 e 
 n 
 '60   '61   '62   '63   '64   '65   '66   '67   '68   '69 
 '70   '71   '72   '73   '74   '75   '76   '77   '78   '79 
Canadian car identification here: Serial Numbers 1935-1964 | 1965-1966
and more information in the reference section here.

Thread: 1967 Riviera GS question

1967 Riviera GS question

Can someone tell me if there is a way to tell if the 1967 Riviera that I bought recently is a "REAL" GS car? I have given all of the information from the "TRIM TAG" in my previous thread and nothing points to a "GS". The car does have the "GS" emblems on both front fenders and the RED "STAR WARS" air cleaner is on the engine. But I was wondering if there was something in the VIN number that would point to it being a GS car.

The VIN number is as follows: 494877H909xxx, with last 3 digits being numbers.

I am not sure if I should be putting the whole number out on the internet that is why I did what I did with the "X's".

Thanks, in advance for any information. Ed

Nothing in the VIN or on the trim tag will tell you if it is a GS, see this link for identifying a GS:

http://rivowners.org/features/Ev_Stats/66-69/index.html

494877H909xxx
    4 = Buick
    94 = Riviera
    87 = 2-door sport coupe
    7 = 1967 model year
    H = built at Fint, MI
    909xxx = sequential number, range was 900001 to 942811 for the Riviera
    Sean Smith
    BCA# 42746
    MBCC# 2122
    SAH# 4186
    Buickman Award 2015

1957 Special 4-door Riviera (hardtop) model 43

thanks for the information. Ed

Ed,
    Post a pic of the engine and a pic of both fender scripts. I can determine if a legit GS but may take some investigation. To start, is there a limited slip tag under one of the differential cover bolts? Check and see if you can find the rear axle code stamp. Its on driver side axle tube on bottom roughly 2-5" away from the differential housing. The shop manual covers this. Some are stamped light. If heavy rust scale it may not be legible. Use a wire brush carefully then block sand with 120 grit paper. Looking for a PY with X inside a circle.

Edit - Oh Never mind - I searched back and found pics of the car and read your details. That is a legitimate GS for certain. I've been working on 67s for 35 years. It will have EXTENSIVE rust issues but that's only a portion of the challenges. It looks like a great parts car though.
    The rear axle has good value as does the air cleaner assembly. Hard to tell but it almost looks like a California version.
    Let me know if you need any specific details.
    Last edited by JZRIV; 03-18-2017 at 10:21 AM.
    Jason Z
    Near Pittsburgh PA
    66-67 Rivs
    Check Out ROA Right Here https://www.rivowners.org/

I looked at the rear end and there is a "USE LIMITED SLIP DIFF LUBE ONLY" tag on one of the rear cover bolts. I also did what you said with a wire brush and I can see a definite "P" and what looks like the lower portion of a "Y" from the "FORK" down. and next to that there appears to be part of a circle and there is something inside the circle that looks like a line or a part of a "T". When I came back to my computer to respond to the e-mail and re-read what you said it could be an "X".

I thought that when I first walked up to the car that it was the real McCoy with my limited knowledge, just seeing the "GS" emblems and the air cleaner. I also thought that no one was swapping parts on these cars 20+ years ago but maybe I could be wrong with that assessment. I was thoroughly surprised to see most of the car there. It is a testament that most people didn't know what it was and it was left alone. I was told that it sat in the same spot for at least 5 years and before that for about 15 years around the Macon, Ga. area. I am also originally from Pottsville, Pa. Do you have any Parts that you might want to let go?

Nice to confirm axle Ed. What type interior does it have? How are the floors and area under the base of windshield? I see it has typical bad A-pillar rust. It is amazing no one stole the StarWars air cleaner while the car was sitting all that time. And yes people did clone GS cars 20 years ago. 35-40 years ago not so much but it happened then too. I do have a variety of 66-67 parts and am selling them so I have less incentive to start another project.
    Jason Z
    Near Pittsburgh PA
    66-67 Rivs
    Check Out ROA Right Here https://www.rivowners.org/