From the Reference Section:
- How to choose your new wheels and tires
- Buick Rallye Wheels
- Calculators: Tires, Gears, MPH, etc.
- Wheel Bearing Adjustment, 1963 - 1970

Thread: Largest Tires wheels for 71 Skylark

Largest Tires wheels for 71 Skylark

a 71 Skylark that is stock, stock ride height, etc.
    Looking to go to 17 inch wheels as the tire sizes in 15's are getting scarce.
    What is the largest RIM size I can use.... like 17 x 8 or 17 x 7. ? what would the back space be?
    What would be a tire that fits that wheelwell without rubbing and without going to air shocks or other modifications (I want stock ride height).
    Thanks in Advance.
    Former Cav

Based on my experience, it won't work. Tried putting 235/50/17's and they rubbed in turns. Also, putting bigger wheels/tires can reduce braking performance, so you need to upgrade your brakes also. If you currently have 245/60/15, you should be able to fit 275/60/15 tires which are slightly bigger. BFG, Nitto and Mickey Thompson tires are available in that size.

Quote Originally Posted by Former Cav View Post
    a 71 Skylark that is stock, stock ride height, etc.
    Looking to go to 17 inch wheels as the tire sizes in 15's are getting scarce.
    What is the largest RIM size I can use.... like 17 x 8 or 17 x 7. ? what would the back space be?
    What would be a tire that fits that wheelwell without rubbing and without going to air shocks or other modifications (I want stock ride height).
    Thanks in Advance.
    Former Cav
    I'm going to do the same thing in the near future. My idea is to get a bigger wheel with a lower profile tire. As long as you don't go more than an inch or two over all taller and wider you should be fine.

I compressed my rear suspension to see how much extra room I had on top, inside and outside to make sure I wasn't gonna rub.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

this may help

hey, if you haven't yet found the info to help with your particular situation, here's a great tool: https://www.tacomaworld.com/tirecalc? I noticed this may be late but if you have it worked out maybe others can use the info

The info here only goes to 16" wheels, but it will give you a feel for what you are trying to do. At 16" you will have to be in a 50 profile to hope to work, I don't know what profiles are available, but you will probably have to be in a 40 for 17". You will probably want to be under 25" diameter.

https://www.teambuick.com/reference/...tire_howto.php

WEBNOTE: When inserting an email in a posting, use the "smilie" @ so that web robots don't pick up your address and send you more junk mail!
    Members can be contacted by clicking on their "handle", but you are much better off to post to the thread!