- Buick Cam Specifications for 401 and 425 nailheads
- Buick Cams from Kenne Bell, 401, 425
    - Nailhead Engine Specifications
- Head Flow Chart
- Nailhead Oil Pump
- Nailhead cam specs and cam selection
- Nailhead Parts Interchange
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Trying to make a little more power out of my 264, Am I going in the right direction

Trying to make a little more power out of my 264, Am I going in the right direction

I have a 55 Buick with a 264 2 barrel with Dynaflow. I know people will tell me to just put in a 322 and a 4 speed but they're hard to find and expensive so I just want to work with what Ive already got. Im not expecting a fire breathing street strip monster but this car is an absolute dog right now. My plan is to just get as much power out of the stock motor as I can. So the first move was to picked up a factory 4 barrel manifold and WCFB carburetor, and I got a chrome air cleaner because Ive been told the oil bath air cleaner really chokes the carb. Then I got a 57 distributor because I read they advance better and work better, and the Petronix ignitor 3 fits in the 57 distributor but not the 55. Ignitor 3 has more spark, creates multiple sparks per fire (like MSD), a rev limitor, and I can hide it in the distributor so it looks stock. I was thinking it would probably be good to re-curve for a more aggressive timing curve. What should it be? I need to redo my exhaust because the Y Pipe blew out from a back fire when I was trying set up my points... I know a 55 has no room for true duals without torching holes in the frame. So is it worth just redoing the exhaust with a stock layout but with a 2.5 inch exhaust for more flow? I havent taken it to an exhaust shop yet, but could you run the drivers side pipe across like you would for a Y pipe but then make it bend and run parallel to the passenger side pipe to get a true dual exhaust? Or would the bends be too tight and hurt flow on the drivers side? I figure 1 3/4 or 2 inch duals would probably be enough considering its a small motor and I dont want to lose to much back pressure either.

Now after all that if Im still unhappy with the power of the car Im going to have to dig into the motor. Everything Ive read says the Nailhead heads dont flow well. In the past with 70s motors Ive gotten good seat of the pants gains out of just milling a little off the heads to get some extra compression usually half a point, and adding the biggest valves that will fit, then I had the machinist take a little out of the valve stem for more flow like Edelbrock heads do, but left the stock ports alone. Ive always built Olds motors. I usually put 455 size valves in the small block Olds heads. I did it on a 74 Olds 350 and a 78 403, and they all just seem much more responsive, my theory was small ports and big valves increase port velocity and thats where the response comes from. Would that work on a stock set of 55 heads? I know the magic is in the torque these motors make so I dont want to port the heads and lose that. Is a cam upgrade worth it? It seems like the cam in the motor is already pretty big.

So what do you guys think? Am I on the right track or am I doing things wrong what would you do differently? Ive built other cars but never a nailhead and I know theyre a little bit of a different animal, plus there isnt as many parts available for the 264.

What transmission? Rear gears?

Dynaflow with factory rear gears. Ive been trying to find a stick rear for better gears forever but havent had any luck. Ive never had it over 40mph but getting there was a timely process...

Ive never had it over 40mph but getting there was a timely process...[/QUOTE]

Are you saying all it will do is 40 mph?? Something wrong if that is the case.

Ben

No Im sure I can do over 40 not sure how long 0-60 will take or anything but the motor doesnt sound tired or anything. Ive only driven it a handful of times. I used to store it in a lot in an industrial area that was a ghost town after 10pm. I rebuilt the carb, changed the points, spark plugs, wires, belts, hoses, rebuilt the fuel pump and had the gas tank boiled, replaced the wheel cylinders brake hoses and shoes, then had the radiator boiled out and rodded, and it was finally driveable except for the 40 year old tires. So I ran it around the block a few times and got on it as much as I could. But it really just didnt have much get up and go from a stop and once it was moving it didnt really pull hard when I gave it gas. It was kind of like a big 70s car with a small motor it just changed tone but didnt really accelerate... I parked it after that because the brakes were pretty horrendous, and I think the treadlevac is on its way out so thats the next project.

My guess was that it was a typical 2 barrel, where you step into it from a start and you feel that little bit of torque like its going to take off then you give it more gas and it just falls on its face. I know swapping the 2 barrel on my 74 Olds 88 with a 350 to a 4 barrel got rid of that feeling. But I wanted to kind of get all I can out of the 264..

Here's some related performance information which may be a guide as to how well your car is doing:
    http://www.automobile-catalog.com/pe...ial_sedan.html

WEBNOTE: When inserting an email in a posting, use the "smilie" @ so that web robots don't pick up your address and send you more junk mail!
    Members can be contacted by clicking on their "handle", but you are much better off to post to the thread!

I think the site isnt that accurate it says a Roadmaster will go 0-60 in 10.7 seconds but a Special will do it in 10.1.... But either way Id say my car is on par with that it probably would do 0-60 in around 11 or 12 seconds... Just kind of a bummer when my 4 cylinder Mustang II felt faster than my Buick..

Anyway I dont think there is anything wrong with the Buick mechanically in anyway it has less than 50k miles on it and its a real 50k I know the history of the car since new, it really runs great, smooth idle and the carb seems responsive at idle too... Timing is set dead on, and the Dwell is correct, I tuned the carb with a vaccum gauge and got over 20 inches at idle. I think its running its 1955 best. I just would like more from it..

Get your brakes working and get some good tires first.
    Run a straight exhaust or a short glass pack...the added noise and vibration creates a 'testosterone effect' and the car will seem faster.
    Start in Low and shift to drive at 45-60 mph.
    Your WCFB will wake it up but only at higher rpm.
    The smaller displacement 264 flows well with the stock heads.
    A 56 Buick cam and lifters will help.
    Later nailhead 1:6 rockers will also help.
    3.9 gears from a standard transmission car will show the biggest change...bigger if used with the standard transmission.

I have a 264 nailhead in a 51 Ford F-1; a little lighter at 3500#; WCFB; dual glass pack; 3.92 rear gears; 56 cam/lifters; standard tranny.
    My passengers have named it HO-LEE-S---- after I romp on it! That little 264 revs to 5500 rpm before valves and/or points float (built in rev limiter).

Get your brakes working and get some good tires first.

Dont worry Brakes and tires are the next move. I already know what Im getting and have started ordering parts, and sent some factory rims out to get them widened so I can get a better contact patch. I finally know what I am going to do with my brakes so its a matter or ordering parts. Its not easy finding vintage baby nailhead parts it usually takes me a while so I just want to know what parts so I can start looking.

Do you know the specs on the cam? It seems a lot of places just spec one cam form 53-56? Also what year rockers give you the 1.6 ratio?

Long thread over at BCA forums...guy is an engineer and analyzed everything including cams: http://forums.aaca.org/topic/276369-...omment-1479258
    Found that some cams are just 401 blanks with journals turned down to fit small nailheads....Buick 'expert' on the left coast refusing to offer cam specs and when his cam was profiled it turned out to be asymmetric, which may or may not be a bad thing (just cannot compare to others). Unless you change rear gears, don't go too aggressive because it will move your hp and torque curve up a few hundred rpm and it will be a real slug in normal driving.
    I used some 1:6 rockers from a 64 401...the guys that play with the big nails will have a definite answer.