Identification, VIN, Trim, Engine Specs and more... 
 '50   '51   '52   '53   '54   '55   '56   '57   '58   '59   o 
 p 
 e 
 n 
 '60   '61   '62   '63   '64   '65   '66   '67   '68   '69 
 '70   '71   '72   '73   '74   '75   '76   '77   '78   '79 
Canadian car identification here: Serial Numbers 1935-1964 | 1965-1966
and more information in the reference section here.

Thread: 1967 Riviera GS questions

Question 1967 Riviera GS questions

Found a 67 Riviera GS car today (i noticed it about 2 months ago sitting in a field and recognized it as a mid 60's Riviera from about a hundred yards away and today was in the area and stopped to inquire about it). the land owner told me that it has been sitting there for about 5 years but it had been sitting out in the weather for about 20 years total and as you can imagine it is really in pretty bad shape, rust everywhere. Most of the trim is on the car (the only 2 pieces that appear to be missing are 2 of the pieces from the rear window. I am considering purchasing if price is right just for the parts and am supposed to go look at the car with a friend again tomorrow. The major parts are there especially under the hood. The bucket seats and console are there also. I wrote the following info down from the cowl (TRIM) tag:
    10C
    67-49487 EUC 42F144
    668-B
    EXT 2ECR 3B 00 PNT
    4F 5F

I have been looking at some of the decoding info that is on the internet and on this site and have found out everything but the following 2 items, first is the "E" in the Group 2 codes and second is the Group 5 "F" code. Can someone share their knowledge about these 2 items?

The only other piece of the puzzle that I have not been able to decipher is the "00" PNT code. If I recall from other earlier research for a different GM product a few years ago the "00" is possibly for a "NON-Standard" color and possibly wasn't even painted at the factory, can anyone say for sure. The car appears to have been originally a shade of red but was repainted gold at some point.

Let me also say this, that my Dad was a life time BUICK man and bought a new car about every year until his death in 74. My older brother has a 71 BOAT TAIL RIVIERA 455, as well as a 71 GS 455 STAGE 1 car both of which are fully restored cars.

For the special order paint I've seen it shown as SPL OO on the trim tag. I don't think they would have shipped a car from the factory that wasn't painted. Would it be possible to post a picture of the trim tag as some of the items you show appear to be incorrect, I've tried to correct them below:

10C F
    ST 67-49487 EUC 42144 BODY
    TR 668-B OO PNT
    EXT 2EGR 3B
    4F 5F

10C = build date = October (10) 1966, third week (C)

F = body shipped to Flint for final assembly

49487 = Fisher body style number
    4 = Buick
    94 = Riviera
    87 = 2-door hardtop coupe

EUC = body built at Euclid, OH
    42144 - sequential body number

Trim 668 = Standard trim, Black Vinyl with Bucket-Type Front Seat
    B = seat code = bucket seats

Paint OO = special order, would need a build sheet to find the color used

Option codes:

Group 1
    E = Tinted glass (all windows)
    X = Power Window (Except Vents)
    T = 4-Way Power Seat - bucket, left seat only

Group 2
    E = Air Conditioner - Manual
    G = Long console (you listed C, but it is probably a G)
    R = Rear seat speaker

Group 3
    B = Rear Window Defroster

Group 4
    F = Remote controlled outside driver's mirror

Group 5
    F = I don't have a listing for F, K is the most common which is door edge guards
    Sean Smith
    BCA# 42746
    MBCC# 2122
    SAH# 4186
    Buickman Award 2015

1957 Special 4-door Riviera (hardtop) model 43

Thanks for the information. I have attached a photo of the TRIM Tag to this memo. I have tried to compress the file and I am not sure how clear it will be for you, it was taken with a high resolution camera to begin with. You are correct that the 2nd group letter should have been a "G" not a "C" as I had said initially. Again thanks, Ed

Quote Originally Posted by Buford26 View Post
    For the special order paint I've seen it shown as SPL OO on the trim tag. I don't think they would have shipped a car from the factory that wasn't painted. Would it be possible to post a picture of the trim tag as some of the items you show appear to be incorrect, I've tried to correct them below:

10C F
    ST 67-49487 EUC 42144 BODY
    TR 668-B OO PNT
    EXT 2EGR 3B
    4F 5F

10C = build date = October (10) 1966, third week (C)

F = body shipped to Flint for final assembly

49487 = Fisher body style number
    4 = Buick
    94 = Riviera
    87 = 2-door hardtop coupe

EUC = body built at Euclid, OH
    42144 - sequential body number

Trim 668 = Standard trim, Black Vinyl with Bucket-Type Front Seat
    B = seat code = bucket seats

Paint OO = special order, would need a build sheet to find the color used

Option codes:

Group 1
    E = Tinted glass (all windows)
    X = Power Window (Except Vents)
    T = 4-Way Power Seat - bucket, left seat only

Group 2
    E = Air Conditioner - Manual
    G = Long console (you listed C, but it is probably a G)
    R = Rear seat speaker

Group 3
    B = Rear Window Defroster

Group 4
    F = Remote controlled outside driver's mirror

Group 5
    F = I don't have a listing for F, K is the most common which is door edge guards
    Attached Images Attached Images

oh man, 67 was the first year of the big blocks. and it's a GS. AND it's a special order paint job.

any chance it's a Stage 1 car? has it got the Star Wars air cleaner? those things are like hens teeth.

http://rivowners.org/features/evolution/evpt67.html

and to think, it's been rotting in a field.
    The way to crush the bourgeoisie is to grind them between the millstones of taxation and inflation.
    Vladimir Lenin

Government schooling is about "the perfect organization of the hive."
    H.H. Goddard, Human Efficiency (1920)

Yes it has the "STAR WARS" Air Cleaner (still on the car). As soon as i saw the GS emblem on the side of the car I knew it was "SPECIAL" and also knew that the air cleaner was supposed to be the RED "STAR WARS" one, and when I opened the hood I couldn't believe that it was still on the car. I have decided to buy and made arrangements to purchase it tomorrow. I don't know how to tell about the STAGE 1 question, I thought that only the 70 on up Skylark GS cars were "STAGE 1" cars, that is what my brother in PA has, his is a 71 and it has a badge on the fender that says STAGE 1, his car also had the red stripes in the rocker panel molding that someone had told me also meant that the car was a stage 1 car, but I don't really know for sure about that. I wanted to learn more about the car before I decided to buy it or not but to be honest I was "HOOKED" at the sight of the GS emblems. That is why I made the initial post asking about the VIN to try to learn more. As you can see above the only unknown is the 5TH group letter "F" or maybe it is a "P" that Buford26 didn't know what it was for. See photos of car attached. Like I already said it is pretty rough, but as my friend Lonnie says "It's a Diamond in the Rough.
    Attached Images Attached Images

No Riviera Stage 1 in 1967-1970. In 1971 and 1972 the Riviera GS had a different engine than the standard Riviera (engine production codes TA and WA) but it wasn't called the Stage 1 in the Riviera (I think it may have been called Stage 1 or Hi-Performance 455 in the Centurion and LeSabre). In 1973 and 1974 the Riviera GS came with the standard engine and any Riviera could be ordered with the Stage 1 engine (engine production codes XA and ZA). This was not the same Stage 1 engine used in the A-body cars (engine production codes RS, SS, TS, WS, XS, and ZS for 1969-1974).

5P would be luggage light (trunk light)
    Sean Smith
    BCA# 42746
    MBCC# 2122
    SAH# 4186
    Buickman Award 2015

1957 Special 4-door Riviera (hardtop) model 43

Thanks for the info on the "5P", I went over to the car today now that I am the "NEW" owner, it is amazing how much rust $375.00 will buy!!!
    I took a closer look at the TRIM TAG and rubbed on it and sure enough it is a "P". Now that you say that is for the trunk light I noticed that this is also on the car today when I was in the trunk.
    The 4 original turbine blade/vane looking hub caps were in the trunk, 3 of them look great and one of them has some rub/scratch marks, obviously contact with a curb. I was amazed at how much each of them weighs, they have to be 10# or more each. The original radio was also in the trunk as well as the seat belts and the drive shaft.
    I sprayed some penetrating oil on all of the hinges that I cold get to, trunk, passenger door, hood, (the driver side door is not opening at this point). I also pulled the spark plugs and put some penetrating oil in all of the cylinders, the plugs all looked a little black but not oil soaked and none of them were rusty so I don’t think that any of the cylinders were holding water (I said earlier that the hood was closed and the air cleaner was on the car at least when I found the car).
    My main focus today was to jack the car up to get the wheels and tires off so that I could try to inflate them to see if any will hold aid to help the car roll when we go to get it with my friends roll back truck tomorrow or the next day. I was surprised that 3 of the 5 tires seem to hold air long enough to roll the car. I took 2 of the wheels/tires with me when I left to get some “newer” used tires for the “move”, and the car is now up on some blocks at all four corners. With that said I was able to slide my floor jack under the front bumper to lift the frame rails and the front was fairly easy to do after I had jacked up the rear of the car from under the rear bumper because I couldn’t get to the frame easily. I have to admit that despite the rust, chrome flaking on the front bumper (the rear looks surprisingly good for it’s age) that the bumpers were so smooth looking, I never noticed that there were no bumper bolt heads showing on these bumpers, nice!!! I am guessing that the cars original jack hooked the bottom edge of the bumper.
    I feel that for the money spent I bought the air cleaner and the unique TRIM tag and happened to get a car, although a badly neglected one that needs all the attention that I can throw at it to make it nice, I did OK. My current goal is to get it on my property and take it from there as time permits. My long term goal is to have it drivable and possibly “done” (at least presentable) when I retire in 2 years.
    Again thanks for the info on the TRIM Tag.

it is amazing how much rust $375.00 will buy!

nice. you can get more than that out of the air cleaner. even if you just part the car, you can't even lose money on it now.

http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_from...wars+&_sacat=0

until you resto it. THEN you can lose money.

but that would be such a SWEET ride ...
    The way to crush the bourgeoisie is to grind them between the millstones of taxation and inflation.
    Vladimir Lenin

Government schooling is about "the perfect organization of the hive."
    H.H. Goddard, Human Efficiency (1920)

The first course of action was to get it out of the field. Two of the tires actually held air long enough to be able to roll it back and get it on the trailer I thought. The next day I got 4 old tires from the tire store that I have always done business at for free from their discard pile, (15 inchers are getting hard to come by it seems) and Greg also gave me 4 new valve stems. I had taken 2 of the 5 wheels with me when I left the car that day with the intention of mounting 2 of the used tiers on the rims. Turns out that one of the wheels was rusted thru the steel and even the valve stem fell out so I could only do one of them. When Lonnie and i got to the car to pull it up on his trailer the drivers side rear wheel was locked. We managed to get it on his trailer whit his big winch and took it to his garage. I then steam gennied the entire car as best that I could from the outside, also in the trunk and under the hood. The next day I changed out the remaining tires while it was still on the trailer and also unstuck the wheel so the car would roll. Lonnie suggested that being we were at his place that we should put it up on his lift to look at the underside to evaluate that and what a pain in the A that turned out to be. I didn’t know that the frame was not a perimeter type of frame and that it was more of a backbone so we had to slide a piece of angle iron under the car in front of the rear wheels to be able to pick it up because his lift’s arms weren’t long enough to reach the rear frame. From there we tried to power up the electric windows so that we could turn the steering wheel easier but no such luck there. After that we put it back on his trailer and pulled it to my house where it now sits. The driver side door latch is either rusted or come undone from the handles (both inside and out). I think that that will be my first priority getting the door open to help make it easier if and when it needs to be pushed around. Please don’t get me wrong I know exactly what I have and what it will take to resuscitate the old girl. I look at it as an adventure!!! My wife on the other hand not so much.