Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: 1967 Buick GS 400 Restoration

Not surprised.

I'M not surprised he bailed on his thread. As far as driveshafts go, My 68 Wildcat has a 2 piece driveshaft with 4 ujoints and a center bearing support. Some manuals call the Link Yoke a C.V. joint as you mentioned,( I've seen both definitions used in my Buick Chassis Manual) but in reality the link yoke has 2 ordinary ujoints and a spring loaded ball and seat arrangement to keep the whole thing centered. Plans are to replace the 430 with a built and bored 455 this summer that should dyno around 550 Hp. so I'm kinda hoping the driveshaft will be up to the task.

erm, i'm pretty sure those Buick 2 piece shafts have a rubber coupling between them.

i'm wouldn't trust that 50 year old rubber to a 500 horsepower engine.

and you DEFINITELY need to install a driveshaft collar up about a foot behind tail of the transmission.

or, this is Bob's idea:
    https://www.teambuick.com/reference/driveshaft_loop.php

here's Yardley's article on rebuilding 2 piece shafts:
    http://www.1badriv.com/hardway.htm#Driveshaft

i've put an entire RR tire and wheel underneath a fuel cell cage ( rule spec of minimum of 8" road clearance ) at speed and that was way more exciting than i wanted. that little escapade bent the LF frame horn up +6" and totalled the car. and i didn't even hit anything. i was just bouncing down the front stretch.

pogoing the rear end on a drive shaft would be way worse than that.

also, install a snap chain / strap on the driver's side of the engine. smashing the hell out of your carb and intake and hood is not going to fun if that mount comes apart.

i can't figure out where the article on the engine strap is, i could have sworn it was on BuickPerformanceClub but now i can't find it.
    The way to crush the bourgeoisie is to grind them between the millstones of taxation and inflation.
    Vladimir Lenin

Government schooling is about "the perfect organization of the hive."
    H.H. Goddard, Human Efficiency (1920)

Pic from the Chassis manual

I don't see the rubber part. There is rubber around the center bearing. Here's a pic... Read both articles and plan to install a driveshaft hoop for sure. The driveshaft mentioned in the excellent article seems to be different from mine with quite a few similarities. When the time comes, I will send it out. Thanks for the links!

driveshaft.002.jpg
    Last edited by 68 wildcat; 03-27-2019 at 06:12 AM. Reason: add info