- 1964-1967 SP400 Parts Images
- How to wire the Switch Pitch on a Buick Transmission
    - 400 auto codes
- BOP Bellhousings and Automatic Identification

Thread: dynaflow transmission

dynaflow transmission

Hi everybody!! Sorry about my written english but is not my first language...Im restoring a 1956 Buick Super, today after a few month I was able to started it!!! I was very happy to hear my "friend" Danny come alive!!!After playing with the points, carburetor, remove fuel pump to clean it and distibutor, with the help of an auxiliary gas tank . Look like my shifter is not working propely, because when started a noise was coming from the transmission and the car suddenly engached in gear and roll over....lukily I was able to stop it before something happen. With the help of two tower I lifted the rear wheels and started it again and I noticed than one of the wheel was moving(right one) ...playing with the shifter couldn't stop it and always a rattling noise was present. Maybe is no transmission fluid in the transmission but why I can desengache the gears? will I need to adjust the transmission link? is an internal thing? please any advice will be welcome. The original owner told me that the car was running ok, with some problems with the shifter position. Can a Dynaflow transmission go bad all together? I will order a gasket set for the transmission(is leaking), replace it and also I will be cleaning the pump screen in the process.Thanks Daniel

the 57 chassis manual should be useful for you.

http://www.teambuick.com/reference/l...ssis/index.php
    The way to crush the bourgeoisie is to grind them between the millstones of taxation and inflation.
    Vladimir Lenin

Government schooling is about "the perfect organization of the hive."
    H.H. Goddard, Human Efficiency (1920)

1956 dynaflow update

Sorry about my written english but english is not my first language. Well, time goes by fast......after 7 months working on the car (total engine detail....new gasket, paint,new sparkplugs, points,rotor, distribuitor cap, pan oil removal, screen filter clean, transmission pan removal, replace screen pump filter, new fuel lines, new fuel tank, new brakes (wheel cylinders, brake power pump restored and a million other little things.....finally yesterday the car started!!! Didn't sound very good, but after a little fine tuning and after warm up, the engine sounded fantastic!!! very happy!!but(always a but) the transmission didn't want to go in reverse and I couldn't adjust the "parking"(sometimes will rattle ) adjusted the transmission linkage, but no result. After that, to be sure it wasn't the linkage, I disconnected and tried to put it in reverse manually.....nothing!! So unfortunally I decided to pull down the Dynaflow and take it to rebuild (somebody recommended a shop in Fl (Eustis)Four Gear Inc (anybody know them??) so tomorrow will call them to find out if they work in Dynaflow transmissions. Anyway I will remove the transmission.....I read a lot about how to but still have some doubts....should disconnect brake lines, e. brake, springs and shocks? Use a come along? What to disconnect first in the transmission? What shouldn't I do?Any specifc way to remove or loosen the bolts? Any tips to removing it? Then when it is rebuilt, any particular tips on how to put it back? A lot of people in the forum are talking about clearance, any guidance on this - what is the easiest way for me to put it back? Did anybody find a successful way to do this that i can follow?. Thanks in advance Daniel

dynaflow transmission

From what I've seen, the park lever inside the transmission that stops the car from rolling usually wears out and needs replaced. I'm sure your rebuilder will notice if it's warn out because it's fairly obvious.

For removing the transmission, its not too complicated. Set the car up on jack stands, remove the torque tube and axle, unbolt the converter and unhook everything form the transmission, support the back of the engine, then use a transmission jack and remove the tranny.

Daniel,

The differential does not have to be completely removed, only moved back a few inches to clear. This link should give you a general idea of how to do it. You may have to copy and paste the link.

http://forums.aaca.org/topic/244774-...omment-1296787

John