Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: 1957 Buick Special 6.0 T56 8.8 Build Thread

Haha yeah. I've seen those mid shift kits, in hind sight it would've been nice to have originally but this will have to do. I had to make my final motor mount design, but still havent had time to implement it. hopefully will tonight. as well as my trans cross member.

i unexpectedly sold my headers i had over the weekend to a friend looking for some. so i ordered the cast iron manifolds that look more period correct , definitely should clear no issues.

got my fuel injectors/rails in. still had to modify those to work for some reason but theyre on there. then its ready for one fuel line to be ran up from the fue filter to be connected and fuel system is complete. then i only have all the other systems! lol

so for a list maybe of what is left for my own reference lol

fuel: above mentioned, install a flex hose for the filler neck. good to go.

brakes: make hose from front brake splitter to master with the correct fittings so no adapters. modify brake pedal angle . bleed, check and done. i was going to try to adapt a pressure switch for the stock brake lights but the brake pedal assembly has a switch on the pedals so ill just wire that instead of all the connection adaptors for that.

steering: waiting on a pitman arm from partsmike in CA, should be here next week. clearance slightly for the steering box, mount it for good. fab a u joint to steering column adapter. try to hang steering column, make a brace as needed. run ps lines once pump is on

engine: still needs an alternator and ps pump, brackets, plugs, wires , throttle body after my friend makes my adapter plate, figure out throttle cable , mount gas pedal. my standalone harness should be here tomorrow so itll just be a few wires and itll be ready to go. fill with oil and try to start it as long as i have fuel system done and the drive train mounted.

drivetrain:

trans fluid filled, driveshaft potentially shortened, swap yokes, shifter made for bench seat clearance.

cooling:

connect upper and lower hoses, see what fan option would be best

exhaust:
    mount manifolds, fab something lol

finally free from its chains! lol overall fit is pretty good, still making trans crossmember but im happy with it, what a PITA lol.

put the radiator back in, put the battery in, as you can tell ran most of the harness just haven't ran it thru the car yet, put coils on, some progress is better than no progress lol

next little piece added, not sure how im going to to do the same on the other size (read: blower housing in the way lol) well see.
    also my friend mated my two pieces for me for my throttle body

put my power steering pump on and part of my alternator bracket I could without the alternator, got that today in the mail, keep plugging away. I wish I was good at taking pictures like most people on the internet lol I just suck at it

i like that V-eight logo on the valve cover.
    The way to crush the bourgeoisie is to grind them between the millstones of taxation and inflation.
    Vladimir Lenin

Government schooling is about "the perfect organization of the hive."
    H.H. Goddard, Human Efficiency (1920)

OK combined update from my other forum im on so thats why it looks like its separate posts cuz it is haha.
    so I had to modify my engine mounts AGAIN lol my cast manifold was hitting them so I had to lower them, need to get some beefier bolts for them now but its sitting where it should and my exhaust manifolds can be bolted on. got my alternator on, need to lengthen the wires, that plug into that, not a big deal. measured for my belt, just need to get one, I actually had one at the store and forgot to checkout with it lol. decided ill probably just use an electric fan but hide it with the factory shroud, cooling system is pretty much done other than 1 steam tube fitting and some clamps. haven't had much time to work on it lately I was out of town, but ill hopefully make some progress this weekend. I did install the engine harness on the engine, all sensors are hooked up other than o2's, main power is ran other than adding one cable from positive to alternator stud, and then running my fuel pump wire, and hooking up 12v key on, still trying to figure out how I should route the harness into the car. not really a big concern yet, I could leave it in the engine bay for now and fix it later. throttle body is on, need to fab a bracket for the cable, and for the pedal, and get a cable lol, I could keep going and going but ill just update later with some more progress instead of whats to come

so got a belt on, hooked up a fuel filler neck, will need changed later but just want to get some gas in the tank to test start soon, wired my fuel pump sender and grounds, ran a line up for the 12v pump to the relay. need to connect that and key 12v and bat + to the box and I could start it, still need some oil in the engine before I do lawl. I fixed my engine mount for the last time on the passenger side, so my manifold fits, is bolted up, torqued, plugs gapped and in, plug wires on, dip stick in. alternator wiring was lengthened so that should be the last of the harness except for the above mentioned which is exciting. ran my fuel line up to the rail, I need one short piece of efi rubber hose to connect from my hardline to the corvette fpr outlet, just haven't done it yet. still need to fix the drivers side mount, mount that exhaust manifold, reassemble steering, fab my ps fluid reservoir, fill all fluids, fab some kind of exhaust, fab a shifter, get the driveshaft shortened, see whats left after that I guess.

a few more pics of progress I snapped, again very bad at this lol, one is a my vacuum block made out of a fuel y block so I could have my map sensor, pcv and brake booster hooked up. one shows the front accessories, one shows the fuel pump assembly, and one shows the engine with the harness thru the firewall finally, that turned out nicely, will be no signs of a pcm or wiring on the inside either, wiring is done other than 12v key and constant battery power and ground, had to snake my fuel pump power wire up to the front, hook up the fuel tank gauge wire, and grounds for both on the frame

update, only a few pics, ended up ordering a mgw shifter cuz I liked it so much with the mazda, plus it offsets the rod from the base for clearance purposes. went to install it and I just couldn't get it bolted down due to the bench seat, so I unbolted the seat, and plan to relocate back some so it actually has some adjustment (it was all the way back so it would even clear the shifter) . I got a cheap ebay 12" shifter extension and a real 8 ball shift knob, and im loving how the shifter feels and I think ill like the location in relevance to the steering wheel once its back in , the longer rod helps me determine where the gears are a little better than when I had one in the mazda with a short stick. Ill probably make a center console for the car eventually (cup holders, any extra gauges(boost?)) , but I ended up pulling up the front 60 yr old rubber mat and asbestos insulation and ill put down some carpet and some home depot dynamat for now at least . cleaned up the mess from the pics a lot haha, will take better pics once its a little further along. still need to pull up the rear section too. nasty stuff there. I wired the rest of my engine harness (12v key, bat + , grnd), still need to tuck it up out of sight, removed those aftermarket gauges that the PO installed, I dont think they look right for the car and im gonna try to make all the stock gauges work that I can. wired my brake switch for the lights, sent my driveshaft out to be shortened , got my pedals modified from my friend so they don't swing and hit the floor at full travel . got my cooling fan on, shroud on, filled with coolant, put oil in the engine, modified my frame rail to flushly mount the steering box , mounted my custom pitman arm, hooked it up to the linkage, verified it doesn't hit the oil pan which is good haha. im sure im forgetting some things, its getting close though, biggest hurdles now are steering column mounting/bracing and coupler fab to the box, and exhaust and really everything else is pretty straight forward I guess. fingers crossed. thanks for reading my rambling

How's your 57 Buick coming along? its been a few months!

Sorry my work blocked this site on my pc so i forgot about updating otherwise. It does run and drive!

https://youtu.be/dZJ4MeQ8aAI
    https://youtu.be/5-jn2a8zEk0
    https://youtu.be/exP_D5kaWFw

Those tell a lot more than what I can type. First test drive was rough cuz apparently all the shocks were original (60 years old) and so it made for quite a challenge to hold it on the road lol. New shocks are on and it's much more stable . I blew a brake line out due to my installing it upside down so the hose got smashed against the frame on a full lock turn . Fixed that . I've been slacking on actually working on this since my wedding , been busy with other cars or trips etc. I've got a new intake for it with a filter so I wouldn't have 120 degree + intake temps. I need to do an alignment on the front even if I just get the toe straight for now . Exhaust kinda hangs low cuz in my rush to get it on the road i built the exhaust under the frame instead of through it . Hopefully will get some more road time with it soon and work out more kinks .

well I'm back to working on this car. been back burnered for awhile with other things. I actually have a 5.7 ls1/4l60e, drive by wire setup I'm putting back in it using a later model steering column as well so it all will be easier to get parts for. its almost back together but its taken some work.