From the Reference Section:
- How to choose your new wheels and tires
- Buick Rallye Wheels
- Calculators: Tires, Gears, MPH, etc.
- Wheel Bearing Adjustment, 1963 - 1970

Thread: 1963 Electra rim size and air ride help

1963 Electra rim size and air ride help

Hey everyone, first time poster

I'm in the process of restoring my duece and a quarter and I wanted to add a few personal touches to it and take advantage of its lines and styling.

Firstly, what would be the exact rim size? I wanted to put on some rallye wheels and wondered what would fit exactly to what I have currently stock to not mess up the overall ride/drive. Would something from a 65 wildcat work?

Secondly I had a question on the frame, I wanted to look into putting some ridetech air suspension on it (not that it's already super smooth as is) to have the option of lowering it at the show and give it that mean lead sled look. Would there be a kit maybe something for an x frame being in the GM family or would the Electra have a totally different frame and require a custom kit? I've been getting mixed answers from a lot of people on the exact frame of the car.

Thanks!

63 Electra

Welcome??

Why not be different and leave the 225 as is? ANYONE can bag. ANYONE can add fancy wheels. Any pictures?

Ben

Only pic I have atm

I made the decision to change the rims only because I had my 2nd hubcap blow off in a year and get dented up yesterday. I don't want to ruin the last set I have for this car and keep buying new ones so I decided to go for a different look and get some rallye wheels and keep it in the Buick style even though they didn't come a couple years later. I'm also keeping the stock 15 inch rim size and not going bigger or lower. I'll keep the original rims of course and always have them with the hubcaps as this car is 100% all original and I want to have the option to always revert back.

As far as bagging it goes, that wouldn't happen till later much don't the road and I'm exploring the option of it. By the time I finish restoring the car with new paint and interior I may change my mind or find it too much hassle and costly which I will keep it the suspension pretty much the same.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Quote Originally Posted by firstofeight View Post
    Welcome??

Why not be different and leave the 225 as is? ANYONE can bag. ANYONE can add fancy wheels. Any pictures?

Ben

Electras are ( for their generation ) pretty big cars.

wikipedia says that in 1963 *only* the Olds 98 and several Cadillacs shared the frame, as a C-body. the 63 Invictas and LeSabres were also considered "full size", but are three inches shorter ( 126" vs 123" ) in wheelbase.

so you might be able to swap some suspension components from the shorter Buicks, but a frame swap wouldn't be possible without a lot of work.
    The way to crush the bourgeoisie is to grind them between the millstones of taxation and inflation.
    Vladimir Lenin

Government schooling is about "the perfect organization of the hive."
    H.H. Goddard, Human Efficiency (1920)