Thread: 1946 buick I found drunk in my buddies yard

1946 buick I found drunk in my buddies yard

Once upon a time a drunk 16-17 year old stumbled in front of a bohemoth thing and only knew it was a shiny blue buick. FF 6 years after keeping tabs on the sitting bohemoth I now own the thing and yesterday bombed out the rad and hand cranked the i8 she's still healthy. Guy sold it too me without keys or battery and I'm not one to make up "po dunk" fixes. I'm 22 and looking for advice in terms of first time start she's been sitting at least a decade so here's what I know.
    3 on the tree
    248 with stainless valve cover???
    Duel barrel carb I thing stromberg-strokinburgers <<< ***
    THIS THING NEVER SAT IN THE DIRT WHITEWALLS HOLD AIR
    Only obvious aftermarket shits are rigged manual choke, vac gauge, and like I says stainless VC
    She's still a 6 volt and I'm not converting just bought a 3eh 1000cca battery
    Looking for advice and if I'm one in a million lucky maybe some background history I love this curvy b****

regardless if the tires deflated or not, it would be extremely dangerous to run on that old rubber. tires which have sat in one position for years will get "squared off" and develop weak points in the rubber. this is a MUCH worse problem for radials ( as the steel belts will develop a memory for the out of round shape ), but i wouldn't trust bias ply that old.

have you started it up already? you didn't really say.

if not, i'd pull all the plugs and spray Marvel Mystery oil in, let it sit at least over night and then spin it over for a couple of minutes with the plugs out.

you're certain to have surface rust in the cylinders and this may foul the rings.

best thing, of course, would be a full dis-assembly and inspection with replacement of all gaskets, at a minimum.

certain of the valves springs ( the ones which were under compression while the engine was sitting ) may also be weak, a new set of springs certainly would be a good idea.
    The way to crush the bourgeoisie is to grind them between the millstones of taxation and inflation.
    Vladimir Lenin

Government schooling is about "the perfect organization of the hive."
    H.H. Goddard, Human Efficiency (1920)

So far I have dumped mystery oil in all cylinders. I pulled out the rad yesterday and hand turned the crank pulley so the engine is free. As far as my comment on the whitewalls I meant the steel never sat in the dirt. Next step is check valvetrain and starter?

1946 buick I found drunk in my buddies yard

Where in Washington are you located? I'm from the Vancouver area.
    My favorite way to get these old buicks started is to put a chevy motor in them, but no one wants to hear that haha

I'm up in the Everett area. Yeah I'm not thinking of swapping out the i8 if I wanted power and speed a lighter car would have come to mind think MG or Opel maybe even an old Nash but I'm a little obsessed with the idea cruising my hunk of steel through the passes this summer.