Thread: Newbie post

Newbie post

Brand new to forum. 63 riviera owner in spring tx looking to get tips on setting up new brakes. Has old single master cylinder and new vacuum assist. I have installed brand new lines and all new cylinders with new pads and drums have been turned!!!

i need tips on adjusting these things. First time with drums. All my other cars are discs. Do you do one line at a time? Or fronts first and then backs?? How far do you bring out the adjusters on the bottom??

Thanks for for all the help.

"adjusting" and "bleeding" are two different things. disc brakes don't require adjustment, at worst you'll just need to pump them after the lines are bled.

with drums, you'll actually need to set shoe position inside the drum. too little clearance and the shoe will drag constantly ( for a while ), too much and you'll have little or no brake.

once the shoe position is set, newer cars ( 70s ) have an automatic adjustment system which can be actuated by driving the car backwards and stepping on the brakes. do this a few times every couple of thousand miles in order to reset the shoe as brake material gets abraided away and the shoe gets thinner.

i'm not for sure if a 1963 is going to have this automatic re-tension system though.

as to bleeding, i was always taught to bleed the shortest line first and work to the longest. practically, this means LF, RF, LR, RR. watch your reservoir the first time around bleeding, you don't want to run the master dry and suck air into the line, you'll have to start over from scratch.

i would bleed before adjusting.

we don't have a 63 chassis manual but we do have 60 and 66.

https://www.teambuick.com/reference/...ssis/index.php

https://www.teambuick.com/reference/...ssis/index.php

drum brake procedures are pretty consistent across all model lines so, apart from the auto tensioning i was talking about, will be applicable to you.
    The way to crush the bourgeoisie is to grind them between the millstones of taxation and inflation.
    Vladimir Lenin

Government schooling is about "the perfect organization of the hive."
    H.H. Goddard, Human Efficiency (1920)

Brakes

Thanks Mando

bled brake lines!! Did the longest first. Guess I did it backwards. Found the following instructions in the chassis manual.

Adjust drums untill till they start to drag then bring back adjusters 15 clicks.

Maiden voyage today. Maybe need a new car after today !!!!

Need some advice on polishing the turbine hub caps. Seems the centers and fins are no longer shiney. Does anyone recommend a product to polish these things? Was thinking about a metal clear coat afterwards to prevent oxidation. Any thoughts from the borg???