From the Reference Section:
- Common engine dimensions

Thread: Buick 215 for Chevette 1.6

Buick 215 for Chevette 1.6

Hi - Looking for any info that would assist with replacing a Chevette 4 cylinder 1.6 with a Buick 215. I am missing flywheel, clutch, and bellhousing. The current transmission is a 4 speed Saginaw but it may be unique to the Chevette. I would not mind using the current transmission, but not sure it can be adapted to a bellhousing that fits the Buick 215. Thanks.

chevette engine swap

Man, I don't know the answer, but look forward to the finished project!

Ben

Your current transmission, while a Saginaw, is a model unique to the Chevette. It has an internal linkage as opposed to every other Saginaw transmission (external linkage) and is barely able to handle the torque of the 1.6 engine. You would need to upgrade your transmission so in reality, the whole drivetrain from engine fan to rear end will have to be upgraded. Sounds like a cool project.

the Buick 215ci has a one off bell housing pattern that GM didn't use for anything else. so you'll have to have bell specifically for that engine.

on the plus side, GM sold the design to Land Rover / British Leyland and they were using that same basic architecture ( converted to metric and common displacements between 3.5L and 4.6L )

so you can look at fairly new Land / Range Rovers for transmission and bellhousing options.

also, this is a major Buick 215 / Rover vendor that has bell housings

http://www.aluminumv8.com/
    The way to crush the bourgeoisie is to grind them between the millstones of taxation and inflation.
    Vladimir Lenin

Government schooling is about "the perfect organization of the hive."
    H.H. Goddard, Human Efficiency (1920)