Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: 1956 Buick Special Project

But wait theres more.... here are some pics of the exhaust removed from the car. the exhaust will be going above the diff cage, through the factory holes in the frame and will all around be impossible to remove if it can't be disassembled, so I'm using a total of 5 v band clamps so that each part can be removed easily enough, and the gas tank can be removed as well. I will be painting the pipes an aluminum color, and wrapping exhaust wrap around them where they are near the gas tank and the rear brake rotors.

Heres a pic of the new griffin radiator and some of the intake piping. I bought a universal 3" maf housing that accepts the factory style maf. more pictures of that to come. In the past I have had others do the tuning for me, but I am debating buying HP Tuners and tackling this myself. After all this motor has original internals so how hard can it be?

I painted the rear section of the exhaust in an aluminum colored exhaust paint and put a heat wrap on it in the areas it goes over the axle because of the proximity to the inboard rear brakes, the gas tank, and the fuel lines.

For the gas tank, after it dried out from pressure washing, I used a shop vac to get the rest of the dirt and debris out of the tank and then used a tank sealer to coat the walls and prevent any future rusting. It seems to hold water just fine, but was surprisingly dirty. I will be putting two fuel filters in the car, one on the high pressure side before the fuel pressure regulator, and another between the regulator and the engine. My last fuel pump was able to handle a lot of debris so I'm hoping this one does the same. The bolts will be welded to that flat piece of sheet metal. A tiny cheesy looking but very effective and very inexpensive, while maintaining a low profile for these shallow tanks.

I finally finished up the transmission crossmember this weekend! this is made from simple angle iron and 2x4" steel. The angle iron works really well, I first make the side rails that bolt to the frame and then weld in the cross piece after those are made.

Here are some more pictures of the gas tank stuff. got it mostly finished today.

Got the rear suspension re-assembled! exhaust and suspension went back in for good.

all new U joints in the driveshafts (4 U joints back here!)

exhaust before the suspension

and finally:

The gas tank will go in next, driveline will get made, then on to plumbing the engine!

Got some more exhaust, fuel plumbing, brakes plumbing, and the passenger side shock mount welded in.

I started cleaning out the inside of the car and began on the floor. I vacuumed, used an angle grinder and wire, vacuumed again, then did some cutting!

Some pics of removing the bad metal. More will come out, you can see the area around the rockers isn't too solid.

watching
    52 Special.
    Tin Militia CC

This is slightly off topic, but I rented a 2018 Camaro SS recently and this car has a similar Gen 5 chevy engine, albeit the more powerful 6.2L! I was blown away at how great it felt and how powerful it was! cruising on the freeway I was able to get 26 mpg from phoenix to Prescott, AZ without trying. I averaged 17 mpg round trip (I drove it like a rental car after the first highway trip LOL)

Its got me excited to get this old Buick on the road!