Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: 1956 Buick Special Project

1956 Buick Special Project

I acquired a 1956 Special at the same time I bought my Century convertible you might have seen pictures of on this cite. I was going to use it as a parts car, but decided it was in much too good of shape for that! I am giving this similar treatment as the century- the jaguar suspension, original looking exterior with original colors in base / clear. I will be putting a newer drivetrain in this one though. I have a 2015 Chevy L83 and 6l80e, both very low mileage from a wrecked truck. The Jaguar suspension just couldn't be better for these cars- it goes in so well, and handles great with the rack and pinion steering and disc brakes. It's subtle but this car is two tone- dover white on the top and cameo beige on the rest of the body. The previous owner had this car since the 80's but to my knowledge it has not ran since the 70's.

1956 Buick Special Engine install pics

Here are some pictures of that engine going in. Just test fitting for now, not finalized. The transmission is quite a bit bulkier than even a 4l60e. I was planning on going to bucket seats and center console though. I am also working on a new firewall mounted ac / air box that bolts on as factory and provides a little more clearance for motor swaps.

looking good.
    The way to crush the bourgeoisie is to grind them between the millstones of taxation and inflation.
    Vladimir Lenin

Government schooling is about "the perfect organization of the hive."
    H.H. Goddard, Human Efficiency (1920)

Nice work !!
    That'll make a great cruiser !!
    What did you do with the old nailheads?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    "Bulldog"James Miller

With the old nailheads, I sold what I could and then scrapped the rest. the engine was seized up on this car.

Painted the firewall and a few other parts last night.

Made some progress on the Special today. I still need to finalize the steering shaft and brake lines, but I couldn't help but put the newly painted panels together! also got the torque tube out, should have the jag rear end mounted tomorrow.

Looking Good!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    "Bulldog"James Miller

1956 Buick Special Project- brakes and steering

I was able to get some more work done on the special this weekend. The jaguar rack and pinion uses a 3/4" 48 spline shaft, while the buick column uses a 2 bolt flange. Some good old fashioned CAD programming and plasma cutting did the trick. I was also able to get the firewall booster and master cylinder installed, as well as make some progress towards a new air conditioning setup on the passenger firewall.

Here are the pictures of the jaguar conversion. These rear ends fit under these cars so well and make for such an improved ride! although it is welded to the frame, I am only welding the cage mounts so the hole rear end can easily be removed / installed. As you can see, the only extra parts you need to mount the cage are a couple pieces of 2x4 steel. I'll put some pictures and details about how to do the support bars down below later. In the first two pictures, the right side is towards the front of the car. I haven't yet drilled holes through the 2x4 for mounting bolts in the pics.

this car is fantastic too. I do have a question regarding the u joint adapter you made. I need to make something similar for my car, did you leave the u joints in the piece when you welded it or did you take them out? If so is there a trick to doing so? I haven't tried yetbut i was just curious if its similar to a driveshaft I won't have any trouble. thanks!