From the Reference Section:
- How to choose your new wheels and tires
- Buick Rallye Wheels
- Calculators: Tires, Gears, MPH, etc.
- Wheel Bearing Adjustment, 1963 - 1970

Thread: Wider Steel Wheels for 55

Wider Steel Wheels for 55

I have a 55 Buick Special my original wheels have a bunch of rust, especially in the bead seats. I bead sealed them and they still leak a little over time. So rather than try to make it all work, I was thinking why don't I put a wider wheel on it anyway. So why not get a steel wheel that's a 15x7. I found out that the 80's and into the early 90's rear wheel drive caprice is a 15x7 steel wheel and have the 5X5 bolt pattern like the Buick, plus its a steel wheel so I should be able to put my full Size hubcaps on it. The only issue I see is the Peg that helps you center the tire on the hub, but I dont see why I couldnt just measure it out and drill a hole in the rim for it. So it sounds good on paper has anyone tried it?

The center hole is smaller too and will not fit over the hub. And it is not just the guide pin...there has to be relief for the rivets on the front and the drum to axle bolts on the rear. Your Special has 5.5" rims; all others in 55 had 6" rims. If it was easy we would all have replacement rims.

So what is out there that we can use? Ive seen a lot of pictures of 55 Buicks running Buick Rallye Wheels, do they just have a bigger opening in the center?

Quote Originally Posted by My55buick View Post
    So what is out there that we can use? Ive seen a lot of pictures of 55 Buicks running Buick Rallye Wheels, do they just have a bigger opening in the center?
    Maybe they did something stupid like removing the rivets and leaving the bolts out. Then cutting the center larger (machining accurately would be expensive). Better check back spacing before hand. Lots of botched and unsafe stuff out there.
    Converting to disc brakes on the front and changing the rear would get you more possibilities.
    Probably easier to deal with the bead area on your originals...

Roadmasters in the 40s and 50s had 6 1/2 inch wide wheels.
    Airy Cat

1954 41D
    1955 46R
    1956 63D
    1998 Jeep Wrangler
    2007 Corvette Coupe

So is the 50s my cut off date? When did Buick change the center bore of the wheels? Seems they kept the bolt pattern forever...

Wider Steel Wheels for 55

I bought Cragar 69565035 steel wheels. they're 15 x 6, and the factory hub caps fit on them just fine. I had to pay $65 each to have a machine shop bore out the center hole. They worked great and looked 100% factory. You can't use the little guide pins without drilling, but I just took them out. Also, if you do a front disc brake conversion, those wheels fit on the front without being bored.

https://www.summitracing.com/parts/CRR-69565035

Thanks Jacob that's a great idea, I also found them in 15x7 and 15x8.. Im thinking 15x8 in the rear and 15x7 in front. So I can really have a nice foot print on my tires....

On another note, I came across someone selling a 55 Buick Century on eBay and it had a set of Buick Rally wheels on it. So I sent him a message explaining what Ive been trying to find out. Apparently to make them fit you just need a 1/4 wheel spacer, he said it moves the wheel out just enough that it clears the big bearing area. What I didn't ask him is what did he use for Lug Bolts, I have to imagine someone somewhere sells lug bolts that are a 1/4 inch longer than stock. This way its still safe.

So Im thinking of ordering the same steel wheels Jacob showed me from Summit and just using a wheel spacer and calling it a day...

Also I found out 64 is the last year for the big center bore Buick wheels..