Identification, VIN, Trim, Engine Specs and more... 
 '50   '51   '52   '53   '54   '55   '56   '57   '58   '59   o 
 p 
 e 
 n 
 '60   '61   '62   '63   '64   '65   '66   '67   '68   '69 
 '70   '71   '72   '73   '74   '75   '76   '77   '78   '79 
Canadian car identification here: Serial Numbers 1935-1964 | 1965-1966
and more information in the reference section here.

Thread: Canadian Built 63 Wildcats and engine identification

Canadian Built 63 Wildcats and engine identification

I have 2 1963 Buick Wildcat coupes, built in Canada. One to restore and one for parts. When I bought them last spring I was told both had 401 engines. I decided to check to see if either were number matching. After reading information on different sites and this site I started looking at them. Another site had talked about 425's being painted silver. I looked at the car I'm going to restore first. Painted silver and a JW engine code but no engine serial number. A nice surprise as far as the 425 ci went! This one runs and is drive-able. The parts car is almost a complete car, with the blue green buick engine paint. No engine code but has a engine serial number but doesn't match the car. The engine serial number is 7 digits long and begins with a "C" I'm guessing this means Canada?
    After checking a few more sites I found that Canadian built cars came with a Canadian built 401. If they were ordered with a 425, the engine came from the US. The Canadian 401 motors have the engine serial number on the LH side of the block. No engine code on the RH side. The 425 US engines, shipped to Canada, have the engine code on the RH side of the block and no engine serial number on the LH side. I haven't found where the US 425 might have the engine serial number yet. Any one have any ideas? Also does any one know if Canadian 63 Wildcats came with a silver 425? Thanks!

this is the standard location page here:
    https://www.teambuick.com/reference/...gine_where.php
    The way to crush the bourgeoisie is to grind them between the millstones of taxation and inflation.
    Vladimir Lenin

Government schooling is about "the perfect organization of the hive."
    H.H. Goddard, Human Efficiency (1920)

Quote Originally Posted by bob k. mando View Post
    this is the standard location page here:
    https://www.teambuick.com/reference/...gine_where.php
    Thanks Bob.
    I've already checked that page out. As I mentioned in my first post, on my 401 I have an engine serial number but no engine code.
    On my 425 I have an engine code but no serial number. This apparently is common on Canadian built Buicks.
    Here's some information I found on another site. Seems to fit my predicament

Canadian built engines did not use a production code, so this area will be blank
    -Only the 401 was built in Canada, the 425 was imported from the US
    -All 425's imported to Canada from the US will have a production code but no engine serial number
    -The engine serial number scheme used in Canada was different than in the US, but the engine serial number was stamped in the same location as US engines (opposite side of the engine from the production code). The Canadian engine serial number scheme includes the engine size and year.

Eventually I'll be pulling and stripping the 425 for rebuild. Maybe I'll find the engine serial number in another spot.
    Something else I've noticed is that the power steering pump mounts differently on the 401 and the alternator brackets are different between the 2 engines.
    The cars are both 63's coupes. The 425 car has a lot more options than the 401 car. Neither have AC.