Thread: Looking to put power steering in my 55 Special

Looking to put power steering in my 55 Special

I have a 55 Buick special with the 264 in it. I've been searching for a long time trying to find a power steering setup for it. I think I may have found something however I'm not sure about the donor car. The VIN says its a 54 Roadmaster with power steering however it has special fenders on it, I thought the Roadmaster and the special were two different frames and wheel bases is it possible that someone swapped the VIN on the car. Because I thought the steering shaft would be too long for my special. Otherwise besides the box and the pump do I need any other parts from the donor. And on a side note is there any difference in the 54 rims vs. 55 I was looking for a pair of spare rims to put on my car while I'm getting the other ones powder coated.

Stubbe

[Hello Buickfriend.I am also seeking for power steering to my 54 Super.Let me know of fitting.

Stubbe in a Windy Sweden.

Pictures of the donor car? Even if it turns out to be a small series there may be difference in the shaft length 54 vs 55.

s-l1600.jpg

s-l1600.jpg
    s-l1600.jpg

s-l1600.jpg

My concern is cutting and welding the steering shaft. Generally once you weld 2 pieces the metal on each side of the weld becomes more likely to break. Which sounds kind of dangerous for steering components.
    Also can I re use my steering wheel?

IF YOU CLICK ON THE PICTURES THEY GET BIGGER

"The VIN says its a 54 Roadmaster with power steering however it has special fenders on it,"
    Probably 54 Super fenders...
    Anyhow it is a big series car and the steering shaft will be longer.

Last edited by My55buick; 11-30-2016 at 09:11 PM. Reason: duplicate

that kind of sucks. Heres an even better question then. I read somewhere that 56 Buicks had a steering column with a rag joint. From what I understand the 70s Saginaw steering boxes actually bolt to the frame. So could I just install a regular 70s Saginaw power steering box, like the one I have sitting in the garage from a 73 OLDS 88 and mate it to the 56 Column and then use the 55 Pump with custom lines and stop trying to find obscure parts?

If all else fails I could try this, granted its a Chevy page but I got to imagine the process would work on a Buick just with different measurements, http://www.sanjosechevys.org/Tech/te...eering_Box.htm