From the Reference Section:
- Common engine dimensions

Thread: 64 Special V6 225 swap to V8 300

Exclamation 64 Special V6 225 swap to V8 300

I may have made a bad assumption. I have a 64 Special with the 225 V6 odd fire that I'm not happy with, especially after adding factory air. So I bought and had rebuilt a 65 LeSabre 300 that I thought would drop right in since the 300 was an option for 64. However, no mater how I jiggle and tilt the 300 engine and transmission (original Super Turbine 300), it gets locked in by the heads at the firewall and the pan at the engine cross member.

Anyone ever made this swap? Should it fit or do I need to modify the cross member, remove the pan...? Any thoughts or experiences very much appreciated?

as i understand it, the 225 is the 300 with the front two cylinders knocked off.

have you tried mounting the trans from the bottom and dropping the engine in from the top by itself? i take it the 225 came out with the trans attached just fine?

the 1966 chassis manual will have directions for both the v6 and the 300 / 340 / 401 / 425.

https://www.teambuick.com/reference/...ssis/index.php
    The way to crush the bourgeoisie is to grind them between the millstones of taxation and inflation.
    Vladimir Lenin

Government schooling is about "the perfect organization of the hive."
    H.H. Goddard, Human Efficiency (1920)

I know the suspension linkage is different between the LeSabre and A-body (Skylark, Special) cars in those years. The A-body has the suspension in front of the cross-member and the LeSabre has some suspension components behind the cross-member. The 401 engine has two oil pans in these years for that reason: a rear sump for the A-body and a mid sump for the bigger cars (wildcat, Electra, Riviera). The leSabre uses a shortened big car platform in those years. I can not remember if the 300 and 340 have two pans for the same reason when used between the LeSabre and A-body, but that could be the reason you are hitting the cross-member. Below is a side view of 300 engine for a A-body. Compare your oil pan to the one on that car. If thy are different, we have found your problem.

Steve B.

67 GS 525 Buick Stage IV
    66 GS Convertible
    65 GS HT
    63 Riv
    02 Subaru WRX Turbo
    03 Ford Cobra Convertible (Factory Supercharged)

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Frankenbuick View Post
    I know the suspension linkage is different between the LeSabre and A-body (Skylark, Special) cars in those years. The A-body has the suspension in front of the cross-member and the LeSabre has some suspension components behind the cross-member. The 401 engine has two oil pans in these years for that reason: a rear sump for the A-body and a mid sump for the bigger cars (wildcat, Electra, Riviera). The leSabre uses a shortened big car platform in those years. I can not remember if the 300 and 340 have two pans for the same reason when used between the LeSabre and A-body, but that could be the reason you are hitting the cross-member. Below is a side view of 300 engine for a A-body. Compare your oil pan to the one on that car. If thy are different, we have found your problem.

That's my motor Steve posted. It's actually a 67 340 ( from a Le Sabre) with 300 rocker covers.It's in my '65 Special.But,your swap should bolt right in,you just need to get the angle of the dangle correct & drop her in.
    JAMIE MCCLINTON
    STARTER/ALTERNATOR/GENERATOR REBUILDER SINCE 1979
    selling buick mini starters & alternators
    startncharge@rocketmail.com
    65 Special convertible
    69 Special Deluxe
    Lost to garage fire:
    69 cali GS
    72 Suncoupe